Salsa Verde Recipe
This is my favorite Salsa Verde recipe! The tomatillos and pepper is roasted for a rich, lightly charred flavor then the ingredients are chopped in a food processor for a quick finish. Such a bright refreshing chip dip or taco topping.
- 1 1/4 lbs tomatillos , husked (look for some about the same size so they roast evenly)
- 1 jalapeno , stem removed
- 2/3 cup chopped yellow onion , rinsed under water to remove harsh bite
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt , or to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp sugar , to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp water , then more as desired
Move oven rack about 4-inch below broiler element, preheat broiler to high heat.
Place tomatillos and jalapeno on a baking sheet then place in oven and roast about 4 - 5 minutes until charred on top (keep a close on on things as they can char pretty quickly - especially the pepper).
Rotate veggies to opposite side and roast until charred on opposite side, about 3 - 5 minutes longer.
Slice pepper then add to a food processor along with onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, sugar, lime juice, water and tomatillos (and any juices on pan).
Pulse several times to a coarse puree. Stir in more water to thin if desired. Chill through in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Recipe source: inspired by Food Network