Mexican Vegetable Soup
A deliciously healthy, low fat, low calorie, veggie packed soup! Filled with Mexican fresh flavors and perfect for serving any day of the year.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Calories: 154 kcal
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots (2 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 6 oz diced green beans (1 1/4 cups), optional
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano if you have it)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups frozen corn or drained and rinsed canned hominy
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, bell pepper, oregano, cumin and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until veggies are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Stir in corn, lime juice and cilantro and cook until corn is heated through. Serve warm.
Recipe inspired by Sacramento Street