Cold Buster Chicken and Pasta Soup
Most of us get a yearly cold so this is a recipe we all need in our arsenal to help kick that cold! It's deliciously flavorful, so comforting on a chilly day and packed with good for you ingredients!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots (3 medium. Dice small)
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery (3 stalks. Dice small)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 Tbsp peeled and minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemongrass paste (found in the produce by the herbs)
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded evenly to 1/2-inch thickness with flat side of a meat mallet
- 2/3 cup dry acini de pepe or orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add carrots, celery and onions and saute 5 minutes then add ginger, garlic and lemon grass paste and saute 1 minute longer.
Pour in chicken broth, turmeric and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add chicken breasts, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer until chicken has cooked through, about 10 - 15 minutes (it should reach 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer).
Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes (note that chicken will be very yellow, it's just the turmeric).
Meanwhile add pasta to soup, cover and boil 10 minutes or as directed on package, stirring occasionally.
Dice chicken into small pieces, return chicken to soup. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Soup Addict