Bakery Style Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Tall flavorful muffins studded with juicy sweet blueberries and brimming with bright lemon flavor! Just like what you'd get at the bakery. A delicious summery breakfast or treat!
- 2 1/2 cups (353g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 - 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp (56g) butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) fresh blueberries
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (62g) sparkling sugar/raw sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
Add sugar to the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add lemon zest mix with paddle attachment for 15 seconds.
Add butter and 1 Tbsp vegetable oil then whip mixture until pale and fluffy. Mix in remaining 3 Tbsp vegetable oil.
Blend in eggs one at a time. Remove bowl from stand mixer.
In a bowl or liquid measuring cup whisk together buttermilk, sour cream and lemon juice.
Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and fold until nearly combined, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and fold until nearly combined. Repeat process with flour and buttermilk mixtures once more. Fold in last 1/3 of the the flour mixture until nearly combined.
Fold in blueberries (batter should be combined at this point but don't over-mix, it will be thick and starting to fluff up).
Divide batter among paper lined-muffin cups filling each cup heaped full (about a slightly heaped 1/3 cup in each. Use up all the batter), if using sanding sugar sprinkle evenly over tops of muffins.
Bake in preheated oven 8 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue to bake 10 - 13 minutes longer until toothpick inserted into center comes out free of batter.
Remove from muffin pan and cool on a wire rack. Store muffins in an airtight container.
- Instead of the raw sugar you can finish with a lemon glaze, mix with 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice and spread over muffins warm.