Black Bean Soup
A hearty, creamy, protein rich black bean soup with lots of delicious flavor! The toppings add extra goodness and tortilla chips are the perfect accompaniment.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Calories: 460 kcal
- 4 (14.5 oz) cans black beans, divided
- 6 slices bacon (7 oz), chopped into small pieces
- 1 large yellow onion , chopped (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 large poblano pepper , seeded, stemmed and diced small (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth, divided, then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
For serving (optional)
- Sour cream , cheese (shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese), diced avocado, diced roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
Place 1 1/2 cans of drained black beans in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and pulse until well pureed. Rinse remaining 2 1/2 cans of black beans in a colander. Set all black beans aside.
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until nearly crisp, tossing occasionally. Add in onions and poblano pepper and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining chicken broth (3 cups). Add in black beans, black bean puree mixture, fire roasted tomatoes, cumin chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin with more broth if desired. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and serve warm with desired toppings.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy