Skillet Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Such an easy delicious chicken recipe! Chicken breasts are pan seared then covered in a rich, creamy, incredibly flavorful sun dried tomato sauce and then finished with fresh basil.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Calories: 556 kcal
- 4 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped shallot or yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/3 cups + 1 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato halves packed in olive oil, drained and finely chopped**
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Pound chicken to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet. Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
Add chicken (cover with a splatter screen if you have one) and cook about 4 - 5 minutes per side until center registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
Transfer to a sheet of foil and wrap to keep warm, set aside.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet. Add shallot and saute until nearly soft, about 3 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Pour in 1 1/3 cups chicken broth, while scraping bottom to release browned bits.
In a small bowl whisk together remaining 1 Tbsp broth with cornstarch then pour into skillet. Stir in sun dried tomatoes, season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a light boil and allow to simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add in cream and parmesan, stirring until parmesan has melted.
Remove from heat, add chicken to skillet, spoon sauce over chicken. Top with basil and serve immediately.
- *If you can't find smaller chicken breasts you can cut two larger ones in half through the thickness to create four smaller ones (and you shouldn't need to pound it even).
- **Sun dried tomatoes can be minced by hand or in a food processor.