Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad is a classic American dish everyone loves. This recipe includes lean chicken breasts, fresh crisp celery, sweet grapes, crunchy almonds, and a creamy Greek yogurt and mayo based poppy seed dressing. In other words say hello to your new favorite lunch!
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, chilled and diced into small cubes*
- 1 1/3 cups red grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup small diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions (green portion only)
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt*
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
For the dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined.
For the salad: Add all chicken salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl or a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to evenly coat.
Store in refrigerator. Serve within 1 - 2 hours for best results (it's still good for another day but the almonds soften a little and the grapes juices run into the dressing).
- *I recommend using a brand such as Fage for a thicker consistency.
- Serve in croissants, whole grain bread slices, bagels, tortillas or wraps, butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves.
- Use leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken or to cook the chicken: line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Pounded chicken to an even thickness, brushed both sides lightly with olive oil, season with S&P. Roast in a preheated 425 degree oven until center registered 165 (this will take anywhere from 15 - 25 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breasts). Then let chill through in the fridge.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy