Tuna and Chickpea Pita Sandwiches
Healthy, hearty tuna sandwiches. Flaky tuna and tender chick peas are coated with a bright and creamy, lemon herb dressing then added to whole wheat pita pockets along with fresh spinach and tomatoes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Calories: 321 kcal
- 1/3 cup fat-free or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp dried
- 2 (4.5 - 5 oz) cans white albacore tuna, drained well
- 1 (15 o) can chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 Whole wheat pita pocket breads
In a small mixing bowl whisk together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, and thyme or rosemary.
To a medium mixing bowl add tuna chickpeas, celery, and red onion. Pour Greek yogurt mixture over the top and toss everything to evenly coat.
Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss.
Slice pita pockets in half then slice through the center to open.
Layer in spinach, tomatoes and tuna salad mixture. Serve immediately.