Turkey Sausage, Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
An easy, hearty soup recipe made with smoked turkey sausage, kidney beans, fresh nutritious sweet potatoes and kale and spices. It's a festive, colorful soup that's perfect for fall.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 lb) peeled and diced into small cubes (3 cups)
- 13 oz. fully cooked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp)
- 6 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder (more or less to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 (14.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and saute 5 minutes then add sweet potato and sausage and cook, tossing occasionally, 3 minutes.
Add garlic and cook, tossing occasionally, 2 - 3 minutes longer. Pour in broth, then add in paprika, cumin, coriander, chipotle chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer, until sweet potatoes are nearly tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 - 10 minutes.
Add kale and kidney beans and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: adapted from allrecipes