Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Moroccan Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup - This is a healthy, hearty vegetarian soup that's so delicious no one will even miss the meat! It's packed with nutritious ingredients and exciting flavors that are sure to leave you craving more!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 large carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 2 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, then more if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and saute 4 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer. Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon.
Saute 1 minute. Stir in vegetable broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and lentils. Season with salt to taste.
Bring to a light boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally until sweet potatoes are soft and lentils are tender, about 25 - 30 minutes.
Thin with up to 1 more cup of broth if desired. Stir in half of the cilantro then serve with remaining cilantro.