Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
One of my all time favorite grilled cheese sandwiches! The tempting flavors of spinach artichoke dip meet the comforting goodness of a melty grilled cheese. It's easy to make and amazingly delicious!
- 4 oz. chopped fresh spinach, rinsed and drained (leave water that clings the the leaves)
- 1 cup canned quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (5.3 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp butter
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups shredded provolone cheese*
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 6 slices fresh hearty bread (such as a La Brea French loaf)
Saute garlic and spinach: Heat 1 tsp butter in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until lightly golden and fragrant, about 30 - 60 seconds. Add in spinach and artichokes, season with salt and saute until the spinach wilts.
Remove excess moisture from spinach: Transfer mixture to several layers of paper towels. Once it's cool enough to handle wrap with paper towels and squeeze excess moisture from the spinach and artichokes.
Assemble sandwiches: butter the outsides of all the slices of bread**. Then on the non-buttered side of 3 slices of bread layer half the cheese, then layer with the spinach artichoke mixture, dollop tiny spoonfuls of the sour cream over the spinach artichoke layer, then sprinkle remaining cheese over then top each with the remaining slices of bread (buttered side up).
Cook sandwiches in skillet: Wipe skillet clean then heat over medium-low heat. Add as many sandwiches as you can fit (or just use two skillets). Cover with lid and cook until bottom of sandwiches are golden brown then carefully flip, cover and cook opposite side until golden brown.
Repeat as needed. Serve immediately.
- This is mild provolone, just that from the deli counter. Just ask them to slice off a chunk about 6 oz.
- If using wider bread you may need a little more butter.
- Recipe source: adapted from A Couple Cooks