Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup
My idea of the BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup! A family favorite! It's jam packed with fresh flavor and easy to make. In the winter feel free to substitute shredded rotisserie chicken and frozen corn here.
- 2 (10 oz) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp chili powder, divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small ears corn, shucked or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 6 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips or chips for serving
Preheat a grill over medium-high heat to about 450 degrees. In a small bowl whisk together 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp sugar.
Brush chicken with 1 Tbsp olive oil then season both sides with chili powder mixture.
Grill about 5 - 6 minutes per side until thickest part of chicken registers 165 degrees. Let rest on cutting board 5 minutes then dice into small cubes.
If using fresh corn cobs, grill shucked corn on medium-high heat, turning every 3 minutes, until slightly charred, about 9 minutes total. Cut corn kernels from cobs.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onion and saute 5 minutes then jalapenos and garlic and saute 2 minutes longer.
Pour in broth, tomatoes, remaining 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 3/4 tsp sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, if using frozen corn add during the last 5 minutes.
Add chicken and corn to soup along with cilantro and lime juice. Add diced avocados to each serving as well as cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy