Mexican Honey-Lime Chicken and Veggie Skillet Recipe
A perfectly tasty and healthy skillet chicken and sweet potoato dinner. These honey-lime flavors will leave you craving more! Load it up over brown rice for a burrito bowl or skip the rice for less carbs.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes (1/2-inch)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder, divided
- 2 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- 2/3 cup Crumbled Queso Fresco cheese (optional)
Heat 2 Tbsp oil a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, saute 3 minutes. Cover and let cook until nearly softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 - 10 minutes (this is where I prep some of the other ingredients to make the most of my time).
Add in onion and garlic and saute (uncovered), 1 minute. Add in black beans, corn, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook, stirring frequently, until corn is heated through and potatoes are soft, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with remaining 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin and salt and pepper. Cook, turning once halfway through, until chicken is cooked through (center should register 165 degrees), about 6 - 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey. Return sweet potato mixture to skillet once chicken is cooked through, along with tomatoes and avocado. Add honey lime mixture and cilantro and toss to coat. Serve immediately over brown rice if desired and sprinkle with Queso Fresco if desired.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Rice and cheese not included in nutritional info.