Creamy Mexican Corn Chowder
A creamy, cheesy, veggie and chicken filled soup that's layered with Mexican flavors that are sure to satisfy! Recipe uses frozen corn so you can make this soup any day of the year but in the summer feel free to add in fresh. Just cook the fresh corn beforehand.
- 5 Tbsp butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.4 oz) bag frozen petite corn (preferably sweet white and yellow blend. 3 cups)
- 1 (7 oz) can mild green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (or a blend of both)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic, saute 1 minute longer. Add in flour and saute 1 minute more.
While whisking pour in milk and chicken broth. Stir in tomatoes, corn, green chilies, cumin, chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a light boil stirring frequently. Stir in black beans and warm through.
Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, cheese and cilantro. Serve warm with avocado.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy