Asian Lentil Lettuce Wraps
No one will even miss the meat in these delicious and filling lentil wraps! My whole family loved these! Lentils are a great source of protein, fiber, vitamin and minerals so they are a smart choice of food to be adding into your diet.
- 1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (1 small)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, or more to taste
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1 - 2 heads iceberg lettuce or butter lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed and dried
Simmer lentils in unsalted water according to package directions until just tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in bell pepper and onion and saute until softened, about 5 - 6 minutes.
Add in carrots, garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer.
Add in drained lentils, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and water chestnuts, cook while tossing, 1 minute (thin as needed with a few tablespoons of water. The lentils will absorb some of the sauce as the mixtures rests so you can thin with a little water as desired).
Toss in walnuts, sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and optional sesame seeds. Serve filling warm in lettuce leaves (I like to double up the lettuce leaves).
Recipe source: Cooking Classy