Sweet Potato Ham and Corn Chowder
This soup has the perfect blend of deliciously satisfying flavors! It's creamy, it's hearty and it's oh so comforting! Perfect for a cold winter day.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 (15 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups 1/2-inch peeled and diced sweet potatoes (about 1 large)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, diced into 1-Tbsp pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked hickory smoked ham (I used a center cut ham steak)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving if desired
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in onions, carrots and celery and saute 4 minutes.
Add in bell pepper and garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Add in chicken broth, sweet potatoes, basil and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste (don't add too much salt as you'll be adding salty ham and cheese later on).
Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sweet potatoes and vegetables are tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
Pour in milk into flour mixture, stir constantly and bring mixture to a light boil, remove from heat.
Stir ham and corn into soup (once veggies are tender) and heat through, about 2 minutes. Stir milk mixture into soup.
Stir in cheddar and parsley. Serve warm.
Recipe source: inspired by Allrecipes