Slow Cooker Chicken and Chick Pea Tagine
A deliciously flavorful chicken and chick pea tagine that's cooked in a slow cooker versus the traditional tagine. It's a healthy dinner that's packed with protein. If you like Moroccan food it's a must-try recipe!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced (1/3 cup, optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup diced dried apricots or whole raisins (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion and carrot and saute 6 minutes.
Add in garlic, coriander, cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper and saute 30 seconds longer.
Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes and apricots and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour mixture into a slow cooker, add in chicken and chick peas and toss mixture.
Cover and cook on low heat 3 1/2 - 4 hours until chicken is cooked through.
Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and parsley. Serve warm over rice or couscous.