Pumpkin Bars with Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups (258g) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 3 tsp (6g) pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (242g) canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups (232g) mini semi sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, butter parchment.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and granulated sugar and brown sugar until well combined.
Mix in egg and vanilla, then blend in pumpkin.
Add flour mixture and mix just until combined then fold in all but 3 Tbsp of the chocolate chips.
Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, sprinkle top evenly with remaining 3 Tbsp chocolate chips.
Bake in preheated oven until bars are set (a toothpick should come out clean or with a moist crumb), about 30 - 35 minutes.
Cool completely then lift bars from pan using parchment, cut into squares.
Store in an airtight container (in refrigerator for longer shelf life, then let come to room temperature).
Recipe source: adapted from Martha Stewart