Mexican Wedding Cookies
These are one of the most dreamy cookies! Beautifully round, buttery, pecan dotted cookies are rolled in sweet blizzard of snowy white powdered sugar and they'll leave you savoring every tender bite. Easily one of my favorite holiday cookies and they couldn't be easier to make!
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened slightly but still firm, diced into 5 pieces each*
- 1 3/4 cups (210g) powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (249g) all-purpose flour**
- 1 cup (110g) pecans, chopped into small bits
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together butter, 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar and salt until well combined.
Mix in vanilla extract.
Blend in flour. It will seem dry and sandy at first but keep mixing and it will come together.
Mix in pecans.
Scoop dough out 1 even tablespoon at a time and shape into balls. Transfer to baking sheet (keep remaining dough balls chilled until ready to bake unless you have a double oven).
Bake in preheated oven until nearly set, about 13 - 14 minutes.
Let cool on baking sheet until cool enough to handle, about 5 - 8 minutes.
Pour remaining 1 1/4 cups (150g) powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl, roll warm cookies one at a time through sugar to coat with a light layer (this layer will seem to melt and get sticky).
Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely then roll in powdered sugar once more to cover. Store in an airtight container.
- *To soften the butter you can soften in the microwave about 5 seconds per side or let it rest at room temperature about 20 minutes (it should still be fairly firm, it helps the cookies spread less if cold).
- **Scoop flour into measuring cup and sweep top with butter knife to measure. Or use a kitchen scale for the most consistent results.
- Tip: if powdered sugar is clumpy always sift. Sift after measuring.