Sprinkle Cookies are every kids dream! Soft, somewhat cake-like, sugar cookies are rolled in colorful sprinkles to cover then pressed and baked. An easy, delicious treat! You can swap out the sprinkle colors to coordinate with the most recent holiday.
- 2 1/2 cups (355g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened but still slightly firm
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 oz. (56g) cream cheese, softened but still slightly firm
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 - 1 cup sprinkles (nonpareils, jimmies or colored sugar sprinkles)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment blend butter, sugar, and cream cheese until well combined.
Mix in egg, vanilla extract and almond extract.
Add in flour mixture and mix until combined (in higher humidity you may need to chill dough 30 minutes if it's too sticky to work with).
Place sprinkles in a small mixing bowl.
Scoop dough out 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls then roll through sprinkles. Transfer to baking sheets spacing 2-inches apart.
Flatten cookies about halfway using the bottom of a cup or glass.
Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven, about 9 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked).
Let cool on baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.