Green Bean Casserole
The only green bean casserole recipe you'll ever need! It's made with fresh tender green beans, a rich creamy mushroom white sauce and it's finished with the classic French's crispy fried onions to give it that flavor we all remember. Plus there's parmesan in the recipe for exciting flavor! This recipe is a Thanksgiving staple and one people will request again and again!
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, ends trimmed, halved
- 1/4 cup (57g) butter
- 1 lb bella (crimini) mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 1/2 Tbsp (34g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (295ml) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) half and half
- 1/2 cup (45g) finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cups French's crispy fried onions (or more to taste)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook green beans until just tender, about 5 - 6 minutes. Meanwhile fill a large bowl with ice water.
Drain green beans, pour into ice water, stir. Drain green beans well from ice water, pour into 12 by 8 or 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in mushrooms, season with salt and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Sprinkle in flour and toss and cook briefly (about 30 seconds). Pour in chicken broth and half and half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring mixture to a simmer to thicken sauce, stirring frequently. Stir in parmesan cheese.
Pour sauce over green beans in casserole dish and toss to evenly coat.
Sprinkle with crispy fried onions.
Cover with a sheet of foil and bake 10 minutes, uncover and bake 10 minutes longer. Serve warm.
- Button mushrooms can be used as well.
- Use freshly grated parmesan cheese for best results.
- For even more flavor try it with homemade chicken stock.