Morning Glory Muffins
These muffins are the perfect way to start any morning! They're brimming with apples and applesauce, carrots, coconut, raisins, and pecans and you'll love the sweet flavor additions of spices and vanilla! A delicious, hearty breakfast treat.
- 1 cup (142g) whole wheat flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 3/4 cup (106g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (160g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup (130g) unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (172g) peeled and shredded golden delicious or gala apple
- 1 1/4 cups (154g) peeled and finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup (40g) shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup (60g) Fisher Pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, separated if clumped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 15 muffin cups with paper liners and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg. Set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl whisk together brown sugar, vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
Stir in apples, carrots, and coconut.
Add flour mixture, pecans and raisins and fold just until combined.
Divide batter among paper lined muffin cups filling each nearly full. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, about 19 - 23 minutes.
Let cool in pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.