Simple Whipped Cream. Light as air, fluffy as clouds, and always perfectly melt-in-your-mouth luscious! This homemade, all-purpose topping made with just 2 ingredients is an essential kitchen know how. It's the crowing finish to all the best desserts. And here I share some of my favorite ways to use it (see the post above for recipes).
- 1 cup (236ml) heavy whipped cream*, chilled
- 2 Tbsp (25g) granulated sugar or 3 Tbsp powdered sugar**
- 1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)***
Place a large glass or metal mixing bowl and beater blades of a hand mixer in the freezer for 5 minutes or the fridge for 15 minutes.
Pour cream into chilled bowl, add sugar, and vanilla if using.
Whip mixture on medium-low speed until thickened slightly, about 1 minute.
Increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks that hold their shape form (very stiff peaks that start to loose that wet sheen work best for piping), about 1 minute****.
Use right away or store in refrigerator in an airtight container using within a couple of hours for the fluffiest results.
- *Don't use "whipping cream" only use heavy cream and I recommend looking for a heavy cream that doesn't have added skim milk as an ingredient.
- ** The amount of sugar added can be adjusted slightly to taste. Use 1 - 3 Tbsp granulated sugar and 1 1 /2 - 4 tbsp powdered sugar.
- ***I rarely add the vanilla because I love the flavor of the rich cream on it's own but if you want vanilla flavor added I recommend using no more than 1/2 tsp so it's not overwhelming.
- ****Mix time can vary based on your model of electric mixer, some have faster motors than others so just pay attention to the consistency not so much the time it takes. Be careful not to over-mix or it can start to separate.
- To make stabilized whipped cream which will hold up nicely for several days and its great for pies and fillings see notes above recipe.