Pico de Gallo
This healthy Mexican condiment is deliciously bright and flavorful, super easy to make and it doesn't require any special kitchen equipment. It uses minimal ingredients and it's just one of those back pocket recipes you'll turn to time and time again. Use as a chip dip or add as a topping to your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 1 lb roma tomatoes, diced small (about 6 medium)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion*
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno**, seeded and minced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced (3/4 tsp)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt, to taste
Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice to a mixing bowl and toss while seasoning with salt to taste.
Serve right away or store in refrigerator up to 4 days. Use a slotted spoon to serve if you don't want the excess moisture.
- *I like to chop onion then place in a fine mesh sieve and rinse under cool water to remove harsh bite, then drain well. Red onion can be substituted for yellow onion.
- **For a spicer option try it with a serrano pepper.
- Try it with a diced avocado for extra flavor!