This is the first time I’ve ever tried zucchini patties (aka fritters) and I’m happy to say I actually loved them! I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit, and added a few of my own slight changes like adding garlic and lemon, then I topped it with a sauce that’s similar to tzatziki (minus the chunky cucumber). I definitely preferred these hot out of the skillet while the edges were still crisp and the insides were soft. These have such a unique flavor and texture and if you haven’t tried zucchini fritters yet, now is the time! Especially since you are looking for just one more use for your abundance of summer zucchini.
It’s not often I put forth much effort for a side dish, but this one is definitely worth the bit of extra effort. Sometimes steamed veggies can get a little boring and we need something like this to switch things up, right?
Follow Cooking Classy
Zucchini Feta Patties
Such a tasty way to prepare zucchini. Made with fresh zucchini and cheese and fried to delicious perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (from about 3 medium zucchini)
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Zest of 1 lemon (1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour , plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp corn oil
Dill Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Whisk all Dill Yogurt Sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and allow to rest in refrigerator while preparing patties.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt over zucchini, toss and let rest 5 minutes. Using paper towels or a sieve, press excess liquid from zucchini. Place zucchini in a mixing bowl. Add egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, garlic, flour, feta and 1/2 tsp salt (or less to taste), and toss to evenly coat. Mix in parsley, green onions and dill. If batter is very wet, mix in more flour by the spoonful.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp corn oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, carefully drop batter about 3 Tbsp at a time into skillet (I just used a 1/4 cup and filled 3/4 full, I also flattened them a little with the back of a measuring cup once in the skillet). Fry patties until golden brown on bottom, then carefully flip and cook opposite side until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Add more oil as needed and continue to fry in batches. Serve warm with Greek Yogurt Sauce.
- Recipe Source: patties adapted from Bon Appetit