Amazing Dinner Rolls

Have a Pinterest account? You can follow me HERE on Pinterest. I’d love to have you follow!

Is there anything like a fresh, hot out of the oven, homemade dinner roll? Dinner rolls are a classic that will never fade. These dinner rolls are dangerously good! How could something with so few simple ingredients be so delicious? I will tell you how: lots of butter, whole milk and a little patience. While creating this recipe, I was looking to achieve a tender, pillow-y soft texture, along with a light sweetness that wasn’t overpowering (if I wanted a roll that was super sweet I’d just have cake), with just the right amount of moisture and fats – hence the use of whole milk along with the butter. I prefer a larger ratio of milk than water because water has zero flavor so why let it waste good space in the roll?
I love making fresh breads and rolls, because I let my KitchenAid mixer do all the work =). The hardest part is that “little patience” I mentioned before, the rising time. I wish they’d just go POOF! in a number of seconds and be beautifully risen. If only. The nice thing about it though is that it basically forces me to get that sink-full of dishes done while I’m waiting. If you don’t have a stand mixer you could also make these the good old fashioned way, kneading by hand.
I hope you love these rolls and serve them as the perfect complement to your holiday feasts and family gatherings. Come back soon as I’ll be posting 3 specialty butter recipes that you can spread along these divine dinner rolls (as if they needed any upgrade but these butters just push the rolls over the top).  Enjoy and share… really, because I’m warning you if you don’t share you’ll want all 24 rolls to yourself!

Amazing Dinner Rolls

Yield: 2 dozen

Amazing Dinner Rolls

• 1/3 cup warm water, 110 - 115 degrees
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup + 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups whole milk, warmed to 110 - 115 degrees
  • 3/4 cup salted butter, at room temperature, divided
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*

• Measure out warm water into a liquid measuring cup then stir in yeast and 1/4 tsp sugar, whisk until yeast has dissolved then let rest 5 - 10 minutes until mixture is foamy. Pour yeast mixture (scrapping out excess) into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, add in 1/3 cup sugar, warm milk, 5 Tbsp butter, egg and salt. Blend mixture until combine. Add in 2 cups flour and mix until well combine. Switch attachment to a dough hook, with mixer on low speed, slowly add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix until dough is smooth and elastic, about 4 - 5 minutes (dough should be slightly sticky when touched). Transfer dough to a greased, large mixing bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise in a warm place, free from draft, until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
  • Punch dough down and divide dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball. Roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 13 inches across (try to keep dough as much of an even thickness as possible). Spread each circle of dough evenly with 2 Tbsp butter. Cut each circle into 4 equal quarters, then each quarter into 3 wedges (just imagine cutting pizza slices or pie slices). Roll each wedge up, beginning on wide (outside) edge. Transfer rolls to a buttered 10 x 15 inch cookie sheet (the tip of the rolled wedge should be tucked on the bottom. Note that you can fit 3 rows of 8 rolls). Cover rolls loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour. During the last 10 minutes of rising preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Remove plastic wrap and bake rolls in preheated oven for 15 - 19 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with remaining 3 Tbsp butter (you may not need all of it). Serve warm or allow to cool and store in an airtight container.

*I found 4 1/2 cups to be perfect for me but if you live somewhere very dry or humid, or at a very high altitude you may want to reduce or increase measurement by a 1/4 of a cup, just note the dough should be fairly sticky. Don't add too much flour or your roll will be heavy. The dough should be sticking to the bottom of the mixing bowl near the end of mixing just not the sides. It should stick slightly to a clean fingertip then spring back slightly when pulled away. Not gummy and not dry. Most of you will probably find 4 1/2 cups to work just right as well.

After first rise, divide dough into two equal portions and shape each into a ball.

Roll each ball into a 13 inch circle.

Spread softened butter evenly over entire surface. Using a pizza wheel, cut circle into 4 equal quarters then cut each quarter into 3 equal wedges.

Snugly roll each wedge.

The tip of the wedge should be tucked under the bottom, like so.

Transfer and align rolls on a buttered baking dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and let rest until double in size, about 1 hour.

Bake in preheated oven 14 – 16 minutes.

Coat tops with butter.

Pull rolls apart. Serve warm.

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: Amazing! I totally need to make this for Thanksgiving! October 10, 2012 at 11:20am Reply

• Faith: These look seriously amazing! I am definitely bookmarking this for our next big dinner. Thanks! October 10, 2012 at 12:18pm Reply

• The Cooking Actress: I am so hungry right now. I should not be looking at these photos of delicious rolls. OMG October 10, 2012 at 1:42pm Reply

• SerenaB: Mmmm.. Nothing like a homemade dinner roll! These look tasty! Have a great week! October 10, 2012 at 2:42pm Reply

• Joan: The rolls look fabulous! October 10, 2012 at 2:54pm Reply

• Melissa @ Bless This Mess: MMMmmm. Can’t wait to make these! October 10, 2012 at 4:05pm Reply

• Loretta E.: I love making cresents. I feel so fancy…These look great by the way. October 10, 2012 at 4:05pm Reply

• Amber Massey: Those are beautiful!! Can a preggo on strict bed rest get a care package? my twin babies would be grateful:) October 10, 2012 at 6:10pm Reply

• Grandbabycakes: Gosh these remind me of my grandmother’s rolls. Thank you for the trip down memory lane. October 10, 2012 at 6:43pm Reply

• Sherie @ Maameemoomoo: Bookmarking. Looks really GOOD! October 11, 2012 at 12:24am Reply

• Shawn @ I Wash…You Dry: Gorgeous! These look so so tasty! October 11, 2012 at 6:31am Reply

• Charul @ Tadka Masala: They look fab, like FAB!! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :) October 11, 2012 at 11:28am Reply

• Tanya @ EatLaughPurr: These look beautiful! I can’t wait to make them, but fear I will over indulge. Oh well. It will be worth it! October 11, 2012 at 6:39pm Reply

• Jenifer Harrod: These look so good! October 18, 2012 at 1:15pm Reply

• Javelin Warrior: I love homemade dinner rolls and these are just exquisite! I often make mine as “cloverleaf” rolls, but I love the crescent shape… I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution as always). Thanks for continuing to inspire me with your creations… October 18, 2012 at 9:08pm Reply

• ladymorgiana: They look great and I’ve been looking for good dinner rolls recipe :) thank you! November 3, 2012 at 4:53pm Reply

• Brittany: Yum! I want to make these for thanksgiving! Do they store well? Could I make these the day before? November 4, 2012 at 8:45am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes they are still really good the next day. My favorite is definitely warm right out of the oven but we at these for 2 days following. Hope you enjoy! November 5, 2012 at 10:32am Reply

• Anonymous: Look yummmy! Am going to make these for Thanksgiving dinner November 7, 2012 at 2:25pm Reply

• Karlene: I have to travel 4 hours on Thanksgiving. Can I make the dough the night before and store them on pans in my fridge to travel then cook when we arrive? What are your thoughts? November 9, 2012 at 11:34am Reply

• Jaclyn: Karlene – I don’t know that I would recommend it, the 4 hours of rising the second time around would probably be a few hours too long even if they are chilled(maybe if they were shaped then frozen after the first rise the 4 hours may work?). It’s just hard to say where I haven’t tried it yet. Just to be safe, you may want to just bake them the day before. Either way I hope you enjoy and have a great Thanksgiving! November 10, 2012 at 9:48pm Reply

• Joan: Yum, yum, and yum! November 19, 2012 at 10:28am Reply

• Anonymous: Did you use bleached or unbleached all-purpose flour? Would bread flour work as well? November 19, 2012 at 4:40pm Reply

• Twa: I use unbleach flour for all my baking. April 24, 2013 at 4:00pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I used bleached all-purpose flour each of the 3 times I’ve made them. Bread flour would probably be great too. I hope you enjoy! November 19, 2012 at 8:27pm Reply

• Anonymous: I used bleached all-purpose flour because it was all I had on hand and my oh my. They just came out of the oven a few minutes ago and they are SO delicious. The best bread I have ever baked! My family is already scarfing them down. Thank you for the post and the BEAUTIFUL photos! November 20, 2012 at 2:46pm Reply

• Jaclyn: You are very welcome =)! I’m so glad you and your family enjoyed! November 20, 2012 at 4:33pm Reply

• Deborah Breither: Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!! I made them tonight for our Thanksgiving feast and the are WONDERFUL!! Wish I didn’t have to wait until tomorrow…. well actually I didn’t, hubby and I taste tested them – de-lish!! November 21, 2012 at 6:59pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Deborah – you are so welcome! I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed these rolls! It’s crazy I actually made them 3 times in 4 days this past week, a lot of Thanksgiving parties =). I hope you had a wonderful holiday! Thanks for your comment. November 24, 2012 at 12:22am Reply

• Esther: Thank you so much for this recipe! Made them last night for Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit! November 24, 2012 at 7:36pm Reply

• Ana T: Can the dough be made the night before or can the risen, cut up formed dough be frozen? I want to make these for Christmas but I’m having a Christmas lunch so I won’t have time to make them before lunch due to the rising and baking time and its just a few of us and i dont want to make a ton for one day. Any suggestions? December 23, 2012 at 12:41pm Reply

• Jaclyn: You could do the first rise, then refrigerate, then do the second rise on christmas. Hope that helps! December 24, 2012 at 3:42pm Reply

• peg: Thank you for the recipe. And glad to hear you can refrierate it. Going to try making them soon. January 4, 2013 at 4:34pm Reply

• peg: Sorry, refrigerate! January 4, 2013 at 4:35pm Reply

• Sapna: The recipe is really good, but is there another option for eggs in the recipe
    Thanks January 7, 2013 at 3:18am Reply

• Jaclyn: I would say for this recipe simply to increase the butter in the roll dough by 2 Tbsp. Hope that helps! January 8, 2013 at 9:22pm Reply

• Naglaa: Hi Jaclyn,
    You are amazing :) … just as you said … After the first time I made it, I made it 3 times per week since the first time :)

But I have used Honey instead of Sugar …. I think it gives me a softer dough, and more moisture.
    Also I have added 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder … It was more fluffy ….

All credit goes to you :) …. meet you in another recipe of yours :) January 30, 2013 at 10:03am Reply

• Jaclyn: Hi Naglaa – Your substitution of honey sounds delicious, as well as the extra fluff from the baking powder. I’ll have to try it out =). Thanks for your comment I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed these! February 2, 2013 at 9:09pm Reply

• Katie: These look delish! At which point can I freeze them? A whole batch would be too many for just my husband and I so I would freeze half. And how do I go about doing so? February 13, 2013 at 11:53am Reply

• Jaclyn: Freeze them after the first rise and after shaping them, I would just recommend doing so in a buttered airtight container. Then allow them to thaw in the fridge and continue with the next rise at room temp – you’ll likely need to add an hour as they will be cold. Hope that helps! February 14, 2013 at 9:15am Reply

• Katie: I just have to comment again on these and how excited my husband gets when he finds out I’m making them. He literally sits at the table as we are about to eat wiggling with excitement. Thank you so much for sharing this truly amazing recipe! April 9, 2013 at 8:05am Reply

• Jaclyn: Haha that’s awesome! Thanks so much for your comment Katie – I’m so glad these are enjoyed! April 10, 2013 at 7:32am Reply

• ellie: Found your site 5 days ago. Have made 3 recipes. Loved them all. Seriously though, these rolls which we made today are amazing! We ate them with dinner and then again for dessert! March 5, 2013 at 5:12pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Ellie – I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the 3 recipes you tried! That’s awesome, just what I like to hear! Thanks for your comment! March 5, 2013 at 10:32pm Reply

• Kayla: I would like to make these after lunch to go with supper this evening. I only have 1% milk in the house, can I use that instead of the whole milk? April 3, 2013 at 9:28am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yeah that should be just fine. April 3, 2013 at 11:17am Reply

• jocelyn: Hello,

I am new to your site and wanted to let you know that I LOVE this recipe. Just made these today, they are so light, soft and super yummy! Thank you! April 13, 2013 at 8:09pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so glad you love this recipe Jocelyn! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! April 14, 2013 at 5:00pm Reply

• Yosi: I made this today and I must say, it is truly AMAZING! I live in Singapore where the weather is really humid so I ended up adding 3 tbsp of flour and they turned out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe :-) April 26, 2013 at 5:33am Reply

• Jaclyn: You’re very welcome Yosi! I’m so glad you thought these were amazing! Thanks for your comment! April 28, 2013 at 12:13pm Reply

• sue: I made these today and they were wonderful,it took me longer to make because i had to keep converting quantities and the oven temperature as iwork on a metric system. A lot of US Bloggers are inclined to do this so i would have no idea how much, for example a stick of butter would weigh. It would be great if you could use both systems, cups and metric where possible :) April 27, 2013 at 5:35am Reply

• Jaclyn: Hopefully sometime in the near future I’ll be able to start doing that. I’m somewhat knew to doing things by weight so it’s hard for me to get used to it :). May 7, 2013 at 9:25am Reply

• Greenhousegal: For the lady re: conversions-King Arthur Flour Company has Master chart that may help you. I’m sure there are others somewhere on the net–search and you will find one. May 9, 2013 at 10:17pm Reply

• Cintya: this recipe is totally works for me. thank you so much:) May 13, 2013 at 3:48am Reply

• Carol Thebus: BRILLIANT – ABSOLUTELY CLASSY BRILLIANCE May 17, 2013 at 5:17am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Carol :)! May 17, 2013 at 8:56am Reply

• Nayab: Heyy these look delish… i was wondering if i could use some filling.. chocolate maybe in these? May 27, 2013 at 3:59am Reply

• Jaclyn: I think chocolate might work you’d want to make sure it’s well enclosed so it’s not melting out the sides. May 27, 2013 at 1:01pm Reply

• Vera: I made these for about 80 people – doubled the batch each time and they turned out perfect. Very easy recipe and they were devoured in minutes. Thanks for the recipe. October 20, 2013 at 7:26am Reply

• Jaclyn: You’re welcome, I’m go glad everyone liked them Vera! I can’t wait to make them again this Thanksgiving. Thanks for your comment! October 26, 2013 at 5:43am Reply

• Dipti: What can I use instead of eggs they look delicious November 16, 2013 at 2:28pm Reply

• Dina: hi Jaclyn i wanna thank you for this great recipe the rolls looks very delicious and buttery :-) i was wondering can i use a cheese or hot dog filling ? December 30, 2013 at 9:14pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’ve never tried so I can’t say for sure but I’d imagine it would work fine as long as it’s enclosed so it doesn’t just run out the sides. December 30, 2013 at 10:53pm Reply

• Kim: These rolls are simply amazing. Made them for my grandkids as an afternoon snack, had to make another batch the same night. Made these several times. Also baked them with a coconut milk mixture…so delicious. Easy, simple recipe, right amount of sweetness. February 18, 2014 at 7:34am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m glad you liked these rolls Kim! Thanks for leaving a comment! February 25, 2014 at 11:07pm Reply

• Bruce: Your photos are so beautiful I started salivating just looking at them. These look like croissants but I imagine they are more bread-like. Is it possible to roll and fold the dough with a glazing of butter to push them toward the French variety? April 21, 2014 at 10:39am Reply

• Jaclyn: The dough is brushed with butter, but it is a much different texture than a flaky croissant (I love those too). These are much fluffier and softer. April 21, 2014 at 10:23pm Reply

• Elsie Laate: Thank you so much for this recipe, I tried it by substituting one cup of white flour with wheat flour, it tasted amazing we all can’t stop eating them May 16, 2014 at 9:27am Reply

• Eggless Bunny Dinner Rolls | Gayathri’s Cook SPot: […] Source: Cooking ClassyIngredients:All Purpose Flour/ Maida-2 1/2 cupsSalt-1 tspBaking Soda-1/2 tspInstant Yeast-1 1/4 […] June 11, 2014 at 11:56pm Reply

• Jen: I just tried your recipe. My last time making rolls (not your recipe) made hockey pucks so I was a bit worried. These rolls turned out so light and fluffy. So, SO good! I may end up eating the whole batch by myself. Definitely a keeper. Thank you for sharing! August 16, 2014 at 3:20pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so happy to hear you liked this recipe Jen! Thanks so much for your review :)! August 16, 2014 at 3:36pm Reply

• Patty: Ive made these 3 times now and ism frustrated , the ough is too wet, if I add more flour they are heavy..I’ve tried 3 different ways..your way I couldn’t even get the dough out of the kitchen aide it just stuck everywhere…I added little flour extra the next time..heavy…the 3rd time added enough flour to make it workable and the were just really heavy what am I doing wrong? August 20, 2014 at 11:41am Reply

• Jaclyn: What method are you using to measure the flour (scoop and level or spoon into the measuring cup and level)? Both will give far different measurements, for this recipe (and all that I have posted) I use the scoop and level method. If you live in high humidity that can also make a difference, requiring more flour. Also are you allowing them enough time to rise and has your yeast possibly expired? Hopefully we can figure it out! Wish I were there to say for sure. September 15, 2014 at 10:19pm Reply

• Kristin: Hi! I really want to try this recipe for a bridal shower I am hosting, but I live in Denver, CO. You mention substitutions for high-altitudes but can you be more specific for this recipe? I have found most baking/breads to be VERY challenging since I moved to Denver from the east coast but these look amazing and I’m really eager to try them. (Just don’t want to repeat mistakes of the past – almost all previous bread attempts have ended up looking like flatbread!) August 24, 2014 at 10:52am Reply

• Terri: I was wondering if you can make these in advance and freeze them? I won’t have enough oven space to make them on Thanksgiving but I could defrost them and warm them up. Have you ever frozen them? October 8, 2014 at 9:27am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you can freeze them after the first rise, then thaw and allow second rise before baking. I hope you love them Terri! October 8, 2014 at 6:00pm Reply

• Mary Boger: I tried your rolls and the 4 and 1/2 cups flour was not enough for me. I use Pillsbury All Purpose and I had to use a lot more and they turned out wonderful. My 8 year old granddaughter said Mi Mi “these are better than Chocolate Chip cookies and Oreo cookies and that is saying a lot” My husband, daughter and other granddaughter loved them also. Must try them again for Thanksgiving. November 12, 2014 at 5:50am Reply

• Sarah: Just pulled these out of the over! At first I was afraid they were a fail because they did not rise after mixing. Then I let rise a little longer with microwave light on… was cold (my bad.) Rolled out and let rise again and baked FABULOUS!!! Thanks for your recipe sharing. One substitute was instead of milk, I used half and half. November 16, 2014 at 7:05pm Reply

• Sarah: I made these last night for turkey sandwiches so when I sliced the bread they don’t hold together…and ideas on same recipe more like a roll?? I did substitute 1/2 and 1/2 for the milk.. The were amazing!! November 17, 2014 at 11:27am Reply

• Tasbih @ Cleobuttera: These are my favorite rolls ever!!! I’m a 1 week old blogger & just played around with these and stuffed them with delicious stuff like Nutella and mozzarella cheese. The post is fresh up on the blog! I most definitely gave you credit with a link back to your site. Hope I did it the right way; still a newbie. Would be such an honor if you check it out.
    Thanks November 20, 2014 at 1:10am Reply

• Lexa: THESE ARE SO GOOD! I have tried thousands of recipes and these actually turned out. :) My husband and I ate like 6 each. Thank you thank you thank you! I am in charge of making rolls this Thanksgiving so I look forward to impressing the family with this one. November 21, 2014 at 7:22pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m glad you found a recipe you like :)! Thanks for your comment Lexa! November 22, 2014 at 12:38am Reply

• Erin: have you ever made these with part whole wheat flour? Would like to do that but not sure about it. November 24, 2014 at 12:46am Reply

• Jaclyn: I haven’t tried yet but I think that should be just fine since you’d only be doing part of it. November 27, 2014 at 12:36am Reply

• razia: i made these rolls yesterday. they were extremely divine. you recipe is great. thank you November 26, 2014 at 3:27am Reply

• Sarah Stein: i am soooo glad I happened to find your recipe on Pinterest. I just made this recipe for thanksgiving tomorrow and we had to test them. Oh my gosh! They are amazing! I will be making this over and over! Thank you! November 26, 2014 at 8:34pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so glad you liked them Sarah! November 27, 2014 at 12:10am Reply

• Missy: I just made these for Thanksgiving today and they are hands down the best dinner roll I’ve ever made and I’m an avid bread maker. Great recipe and wonderful instructions. Thank you for being the best part of my meal! November 28, 2014 at 12:43am Reply

• Katie: I made these yesterday for a thanksgiving feast we were going to. These are THE BEST rolls I have made in my entire life. I would have eaten the entire batch if I could have. Thanks for the recipe will definitely by using it often! November 28, 2014 at 10:55pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so happy to hear you liked them Katie! Thanks for returning to leave a comment! November 28, 2014 at 11:29pm Reply

• Amanda: I just wanted to say that I made these amazing rolls for Thanksgiving this year, and oh my goodness they did not disappoint!! They are a must gave now at every family gathering. A couple of reasons I really liked these rolls…they made a lot! Normally I might be able to get a dozen or so out if one batch, but these easily yielded 2 dozen. Second, they were huge!! I may have let them rise a little too long, but goodness they were delicious. Third, they tasted better than any other store or home made roll I’ve ever made. Soft and buttery. Thank you for this great recipe!! December 7, 2014 at 10:58am Reply

• debi: Not real astute to the rules of baking. I’m on a restricted salt diet and wondered if I could use unsalted butter or reduce the salt added…? December 15, 2014 at 10:23pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you could definitely use unsalted butter. I hope you love them! December 17, 2014 at 12:34am Reply

• rehina: These look amazing but i have a question do you have the measurements in grams… i have no idea how to use a converter. December 16, 2014 at 1:19pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I don’t sorry, but usually 1 cup of flour for me is about 5 oz and the cups for liquid you could probably just convert online. Hope that helps! December 17, 2014 at 12:27am Reply

• katina: Can u freeze these when all done and baked if so how many days as we traveling out of town for Christmas and wanting to have them Christmas day December 21, 2014 at 8:37am Reply

• Jaclyn: I would freeze before baking or they probably won’t be as soft and moist. You can do the first rise then shape and freeze, then thaw overnight in the fridge and allow to rise and bake. December 21, 2014 at 7:15pm Reply

• Pegah: Do you think you can bake them half-way, store, and then, when ready to serve in a few days, finish baking them? Like par-baked. If that’s a word :) December 22, 2014 at 1:15pm Reply

• Donna: I made these for Christmas and they were AMAZING!! Thank you so much for this recipe. It was so easy! My family just loved them! December 25, 2014 at 5:35pm Reply

• Drew: i don’t own a stand alone mixer and therefore have no “hook attachment” just your standard handheld mixer, and I don’t imagine using that to mix bread in the thick stage would be very smart, what can I do instead of using a mixer? Old school with my hands for the flour addition stage? I would love to make these ! December 30, 2014 at 7:36am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you can definitely just knead the dough by hand. I’d mix with a hand mixer in the beginning then as it gets heavy switch to a spoon and hand kneading. January 29, 2015 at 9:19pm Reply

• Phyllis: Made these tonight for lunch tomorrow. By far the easiest and best I have ever made. This recipe is a keeper! January 3, 2015 at 8:54pm Reply

• Hidden Pearl: Hi jaclyn
    I got your receipe via Pinterest n’ I wanna give it a shot But the problem is that i don’t have a stand mixer. So, can U do it by hands? January 12, 2015 at 7:24pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you could just mix with a spoon then knead by hand once heavy. Hope you love these! January 13, 2015 at 10:00pm Reply

• joanne: Omg i love your rolls!! May i replace the active dry yeast with instant yeast? How much do I put instead? Thanks so much!! January 18, 2015 at 11:26pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you can sub that in equal parts, you just won’t need to proof it and let it rest first. You can just mix it all together. February 8, 2015 at 7:07pm Reply

• Kristen: Hi. I made these the other day. They tasted delicious but did not, at all, look the picture above. Mine kind of turned out on the flat side. Any ideas as to what I could have done wrong? January 22, 2015 at 10:30am Reply

• Jaclyn: It sounds like the yeast may have been killed with liquid that was too hot possibly, or the yeast may have been out of date. Or they may just need a little longer rise. Sorry you had trouble with them! January 24, 2015 at 11:00pm Reply

• Dayna: These are amazing!! I used spelt flour and almond milk they were light and airy like marshmallows!!! February 4, 2015 at 6:47pm Reply

• Kathrin: Ur rolls tasting so yummi!!!
    Do u think i could the dough for cinnamon rolls too? February 4, 2015 at 10:31pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I think they could be adapted for cinnamon rolls, I’d add a little more sugar to the dough though. February 5, 2015 at 5:27pm Reply

• Gail m.: can I bake then and THEN freeze them? March 2, 2015 at 8:58am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes that should be just fine. March 29, 2015 at 12:16am Reply

• Nancy: I made these for a dinner party last week. Without a doubt the best rolls I have ever made! I froze the left over rolls and they are just as good heated up in the microwave later. Unfortunately they are all gone so another batch is under way today! Thanks for the great recipe. March 4, 2015 at 9:56am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m glad you liked them Nancy and thanks for the thanks :)! March 4, 2015 at 4:55pm Reply

• Robbin: These look amazing and I’ll definitely give them a try. Always looking for a good homeamde bread recipe! Question — when you say you knead them on “low” on your KitchenAid stand mixer, what speed is that?? Thanks! Robbin March 6, 2015 at 2:26pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Somewhere around the 2 and 4 I believe. April 10, 2015 at 10:06pm Reply

• Rachel: Hi there. I made these tonight and while they came out delicious, I had to use over 6 cups of AP flour. I live in the Southwest, so it is not humid here at all, and I figured I would use the minimum. I’m kind of new to bread/roll making, so I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. Also, the ingredient list doesn’t call for enough butter that the step-by-step directions call for, so you might want to change that. Other than that, great recipe! March 21, 2015 at 9:30pm Reply

• Anne: Hi,

These are sooo good. But mine came out really dark on the bottom. What should I do? I used a flat cookie sheet pan to make them. Should I have used parchment paper or just lower my oven setting? Thanks for the recipe! April 3, 2015 at 3:50pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I might suggest lowering the temperature slightly and some ovens if you look at your manual you can control the top and bottom elements separately or I would probably raise your oven rack a level or two. I’m glad you liked them though! April 4, 2015 at 3:01pm Reply

• Kathy: Made these yesterday for Easter & they are the most delicious rolls I have ever made. None were left. I used the dough cycle of my bread machine and knew the second the dough came out they would be perfect. The dough was light, airy and spongey! My family said they were the best crescents ever. Thank you so much for a winning recipe. I will make them time and time again!! April 6, 2015 at 6:02pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I made them yesterday too, everyone was fighting for the last ones :). So glad you liked them!! April 6, 2015 at 6:20pm Reply

• Susan: Jaclyn,
    I found your wonderful recipe about a year ago, the very best roll recipe EVER! My husband likes them so much I have to make a batch a week! The kids were in for Easter and all rolls were devoured…….hubby was quite put out!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Susan April 16, 2015 at 11:53am Reply

• Chere: I couldn’t wait to try this recipe and today I did-thank you! They were awesome!!! I’ll definitely be making them whenever I can spare the time. May 2, 2015 at 11:24am Reply

• Jaclyn: So great to hear Chere! May 11, 2015 at 3:58pm Reply

• Fabio: fantastic rolls! I baked them today and everyone loved them. Thanks!

Three questions: 1. Could you freeze the dough after shaping it into a ball? 2. What do you think about stuffing these before baking, with chocolate or cheese? 3. How in God’s name did you get such perfect circles? I battled with that…

Thanks again! May 17, 2015 at 9:53pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes you can freeze these, but I recommend shaping first then freezing in their crescent form and yes you can stuff them I saw another blogger do it here: And for the circles it mostly is just from baking a lot probably, so some practice I suppose. June 20, 2015 at 10:33pm Reply

• Bonnie: I just made these rolls!! They do have a soft fluffy texture. I did have to add 1/2 cup extra flour. I added hot peppers to a few of them and they were great. This is another keeper recipe for me. June 18, 2015 at 10:02am Reply

• Shahida: Hi
    These rolls are absolutely fabulous. Not only are they easy to make, but extremely soft, delicious and ingredients accurate. 4 and half cups of flour is perfect. Best part, they do not flop!
    Thank you June 24, 2015 at 12:33am Reply

• Shahida: fabulous and easy to make. No worries of a disaster. Amazing. June 24, 2015 at 12:35am Reply

• Emily Carter: my Grandmother made a very similar if not exact recipe. She called them Pocketbook rolls. June 26, 2015 at 10:37pm Reply

• Julie Lujan: I’ve been looking for a simple enough recipe and i found this Amazing dinner rolls. I love it, no problema. The family loved it, so delishious. So soft and fluffy and this is what i
    was looking for in a dinner roll. This is definitely a keeper for me. Hey! some one already was asking for the recipe. The loved it. June 29, 2015 at 6:26pm Reply

• elena: they look sooo delicious….i would like to make them too,but i have this problem – youre measurments are in cups and i dont have those so if you can write them in grams,beacuse all net calculators are different and that is not the best way…im sure that and the other people would be grateful for that as i will :) thanks bye July 2, 2015 at 6:50am Reply

• Wendy: Is all purpose flour just plain flour or S.R Flour. July 4, 2015 at 8:27am Reply

• Jaclyn: Yes just plain flour not self rising. August 12, 2015 at 5:20pm Reply

• Mamta: Hi Jaclyn I have made this roll twice but I stuffed them with oregano and cheese the first time the second time I stuffed it with shredded chicken in a thick white sauce they turned out awesome my family loves it thanks for the recipe its amazingly easy this time I may stuff half the batch with sausages and the rest with cheese August 10, 2015 at 1:17pm Reply

• Craig: Thanks for this, they look absolutely fantastic, i can’t wait to try out the kernoodly bit !!tired of round baps August 24, 2015 at 5:32am Reply

• Sue: When you grease the pan can you use Pam or any nonstick spray or are you meaning shortening? September 11, 2015 at 5:30pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Any of those listed should work fine. October 23, 2015 at 9:23am Reply

• Sara: I made these and they were amazing. I live overseas in a land where ovens are a luxury and only come in the counter top variety. It has been a serious pain trying to figure out how to cook bread in it since both top and bottom burners need to be used. I have recently ruined so much bread that was either too dark on top, too dark on the bottom or not cooked in the middle. These however were super easy (with flour doesn’t always function the same) and came out perfectly. I used to sell bread in the States and know how to make bread. I am so glad to have found any easy delicious roll recipe that I know will work here. September 16, 2015 at 7:35pm Reply

• kerri: These are very good. It is my go to recipe now. I love the look of crescents. Mine are less pretty as I struggle to make a nice round circle. I did want to let you know that I really appreciate the instructions on how to mix them in the Kitchen aide and that the sticky texture is what you want. This bit of knowledge changed everything for me. I love homemade bread and I love that it is something I can make easily now. October 5, 2015 at 8:24pm Reply

• SusanF – ofeverymoment: Hi Jaclyn – this is so cute! I just want to let you know that I included it in my List of Fabulous Finds on my blog today … Today’s finds are links to recipes for a completely fabulous Thanksgiving feast. I can’t wait to serve this! – November 6, 2015 at 9:23am Reply

• Hannah Kenny: Hi,
    I want to make these for a thanksgiving gathering I’m going to on the Sunday after thanksgiving. The gathering is 2-2 and a half hours away from where I live. Could I put the dough in the plastic wrap covered bowl and let it rise the first time on the drive there or is that too long? November 14, 2015 at 12:05pm Reply

• Jessee: So I just made these tonight for a staff lunch tomorrow. I am gluten free so I couldn’t tast one but my family tasted them and haven’t stopped talking about how amazing they are!!! Loved the simple recipe. Mine don’t look as good as your pictures. And they are all different sizes, but they look and smell AMAZING!!! November 16, 2015 at 8:54pm Reply

• Beth: This recipe looks great and the reviews and comments are glowing! I wanted to give my kids dough to shape for Thanksgiving. Would this work (instead of doing crescent shape)? I know that each “roll” will need to be close in size to assure even baking times. November 17, 2015 at 8:58pm Reply

• Andrea Jill Krogue: Just want you to know that I have been making crescent rolls for 35 years and your recipe is the best dough to work with and makes the softest fluffiest rolls ever. I always have had a hard time making my rolls the same size but your pictures and measurements really helped. Now the rolls are exactly the same size. I also like the temperatures you give for the water and milk – no more guessing! November 19, 2015 at 7:58am Reply

• Jaclyn: I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed the recipe Andrea! Thanks for your feedback! November 19, 2015 at 12:13pm Reply

• Pat: These rolls were so good! I loved it. But of course mine didn’t come out as beautiful as yours. Thanks! If you love homemade bread this recipe is a MUST!!! November 19, 2015 at 9:18pm Reply

• Eileen: Can’t wAit to try this for Thanksgiving! Is it possible to use bread flour for this recipe? November 22, 2015 at 12:56pm Reply

• Annie: These rolls look amazing and I’m excited to add it to my thanksgiving menu!

Do you think it would turn out just as good if I were to shaped them into traditional roll form? Or would texture/fluffiness be affected? Thanks! November 22, 2015 at 6:44pm Reply

• Ywoods: Has anyone had luck freezing these for a couple days and they still turn out great? November 22, 2015 at 9:03pm Reply

• Carly: Have you ever tried doubling this recipe? Wondering if it still works. November 23, 2015 at 4:10pm Reply

• Jenna: Hey! If I would like to make these the morning of thanksgiving, how much should should I plan for? Looking at the recipe I estimate about 4 hours- does that seem right? November 25, 2015 at 11:08am Reply

• Jaclyn: It’s about 3 1/2 hours total for me. Happy Thanksgiving! November 25, 2015 at 4:29pm Reply

• Brittany: Can I make the dough the night before and bake the next evening? November 25, 2015 at 4:38pm Reply

• Marilyn: Turned out great!
    Worried at first but added more flour and all was good. November 26, 2015 at 4:48pm Reply

• Ywoods: These were a complete hit today! Mine were all different sizes since the dough was a little soft, but yummy! November 26, 2015 at 7:34pm Reply

• Tweety: Hi Jaclyn.

Thank you so much for your recipe! I made the rolls for Thanksgiving and everyone loved them. My dad couldn’t stop complimenting me; it means a lot because he doesn’t give out compliments. I have used the recipe for steam buns and they turned out great too. Thank you, thank you! December 1, 2015 at 12:25am Reply