Move over chocolate chip cookies, you’ve got a new competitor! These cookies are dedicated to people like my sister, who strangely enough don’t like milk/semi sweet chocolate chips in their cookies and also for people like me, who seriously love lemon. I’d have to say are definitely one of my new favorite cookies, no doubt!
You get a soft, thick and chewy cookie base which is loaded with lemon flavor from both plenty of fresh lemon zest and lemon extract, and you get the perfect amount of creamy sweetness to from the white chocolate chips to balance out the tartness of the lemon. They are a cookie you aren’t going to forget. Trust me! I’m sure these are going to be made far to often at my house.
Yes, a cookie can definitely become your favorite use for fresh summer lemons. I know it is now one of my favorite uses for lemons. Forget lemonade, make cookies instead! Enjoy!
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest (from about 3 medium lemons)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and lemon zest (not until pale and fluffy, just creamy). Mix in egg, then mix in lemon extract and vanilla extract (if you want the cookies a little more yellow, you can add a few drops of yellow food coloring when adding the extracts). With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined, then mix in white chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough out 2 1/2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls (I used a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop and filled heaping). Place on Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes (cookies should look slightly under-baked, they will continue to cook slightly once removed from oven). Cool on baking sheet 2 minutes (if desired, you can lightly press more white chocolate chips into tops immediately after removing from oven) then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy