I’m seriously so excited to have found this recipe! To me sugar cookies come in four varieties (there’s probably more I just haven’t tried them yet), there are the frosted kind, which are definitely one of my other favorites, chewy, the cut out and iced fancy kind or these crisp with a hint of fluffy, melt away in your mouth sugar cookies.
These are the kind you’ll often see around the holidays. I love the Pepperidge Farm sugar cookies that are similar to these (the Homestyle not the soft), I remember one Christmas when I discovered them I bought like eight bags because I thought they were a seasonal thing and wouldn’t last long. These however are even much better than those, these are fresh and of course fresh is better.
With this cookie dough batter, if you find that it is too sticky, add in a little more flour. If you find that it is too dry you can add a tablespoon of milk. The dough for these cookies is pretty forgiving if it needs to be adjusted slightly.
Also use the scoop and level method – I never use the spoon and level method unless I specify in the recipe so I thought I’d throw that out there.
If you are wondering why I’ve often frequently switched to unsalted butter vs salted – yes I still like to use salted when baking and I’ve noticed within the U.S. the salt amounts in the butter are very similar, but outside of the U.S. I’ve heard the butters contain more salt in some countries so I don’t want some people ending up with a cookie that’s too salty.
These cookies may likely remind you of that classic sugar cookie you’d reach for in your grandmothers cookie jar. They are old fashioned and perfect for dunking in milk so be sure you have some stocked in your fridge. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Amish Sugar Cookies (Crisp Sugar Cookies)
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkles for topping*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar and powdered sugar until blended. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Scoop dough out by the heaping tablespoonfuls and shape into balls, transfer dough balls to Silpat lined baking sheets spacing cookies 2-inches apart, flatten slightly and top with sprinkles as desired.
- Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.