Wow what a day yesterday! Thanksgiving is always amazing but seriously is it a lot of work. But now it’s time to just relax, do some simple baking and dive into these easy to make scones! I have the feeling a lot of you might have extra cranberries sitting around, so here’s a perfect use for them!
Normally I’m not a big scones fan, when I’ve gotten them at bakeries I think of them more as dry hockey pucks that need to be soaked in some sort of drink to become edible. These however are completely moist and flavorful all on their own! Party in your mouth right here :). The tartness of the berries is perfectly complimented by the sweet vanilla flavor in both the scones and the cream glaze, and I love how well the orange pairs with the cranberry. My favorite cranberry sauce is actually made with a fair amount of orange zest and juice (this here). The two were just meant to be together, and you and these scones – just meant to be together! You are going to love them!
Follow Cooking Classy
Cranberry Orange Scones with Vanilla Cream Glaze
The perfect scone recipe for the holiday season! Tender scones are infused with fresh cranberries and vibrant orange flavor and finished with a creamy vanilla glaze.
- 2 cups (277g) all-purpose flour
- 8 Tbsp granulated sugar , divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter , frozen
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp heavy cream , divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 (heaping) cup fresh cranberries, diced into halves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, 6 Tbsp of the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds. Grate butter and add to dry mixture, then using a long pronged fork or pastry cutter, cut butter into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in center mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together 1/3 cup of the sour cream, cream, egg, vanilla and orange zest until well blended. Pour sour cream mixture into well in dry mixture and using a rubber spatula fold mixture until it starts to come together in large clumps. In a small bowl toss cranberries with remaining 2 Tbsp granulated sugar then pour cranberry mixture into dough mixture. Gently knead mixture by hand (in bowl or on counter) about 5 times, or just until it comes together.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and drop dough onto surface. Gently pat and shape into an 8-inch round. Cut into 8 wedges then transfer to a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 Tbsp cream. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 16 - 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack then drizzle with Vanilla Cream Glaze and allow glaze to set at room temperature. Store in an airtight container. Best served day prepared.
- For the glaze:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all glaze ingredients until well blended.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy