With the holidays just around the corner it’s definitely not too early to start planning your holiday menu. My family is going to be coming to my house this year so I know I’ve been thinking about what I’ll be serving already. Today I was thinking about which salads we’ll be having so I thought I’d test some out. I happened to have a bunch of pomegranates on hand so I decided to build a salad around those. I love how festive the arils look in this salad when paired with the greens, and of course I’m in love with the entire flavor combination of this salad!
I first tested a salad which was similar with bacon and believe it or not bacon just didn’t seem to have a place with this type of salad. It’s probably the first time I didn’t like bacon in something. I just love the fruitiness and sweetness of this salad without the overwhelming distraction of salty pork. I do however love the slight tang of the feta and depth of flavor from toasting the the nuts paired with the sweetness of this salad, they just balances things out. I also really enjoyed the faint honey flavor in the vinaigrette which I felt brought the salad and the dressing together while it’s gentle sweetness toned down the acidity of the dressing.
This salad has definitely made the cut for my holiday menu (I don’t think I’ll want to wait until the holidays thought to make it again)! I hope you love it too!
Follow Cooking Classy
Pear, Pomegranate and Spinach Salad
This colorful salad is brimming with fresh flavor it's it's perfect for the holidays.
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans , toasted
- 3/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 3 oz feta cheese , crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Bartlett pears (firm but ripe), cored and sliced
- 9 oz baby spinach
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients in a bowl to blend well. Place all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, drizzle with desired amount of dressing then toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: adapted with some changes from Williams Sonoma