So I had surgery on my hip bright and early this morning, so early I’d probably consider it to be the middle of the night (waking up at 4:00am is like my worst nightmare. Actually I wish it would have been a nightmare, because that would mean I would have still been asleep and dreaming at 4 :)) but anyway things went so well I’m right back to work today. Okay just kidding, I’m basically going to be a couch potato for the next week. Meaning I’m going to be spending unbelievably ridiculous amounts of time on Pinterest dreaming of all the delicious things I could be making, browsing the web for beautiful kitchen ideas that I’m most likely never going to use, shopping for clothes online and pretending to care about fashion and begging my husband to learn to cook (as he refuses) so he will make something other than a box of mac and cheese with a side of crackers and string cheese for dinner or picking up take out every night. Why do I care if he learns to cook? Well I’m going to need some dinner this week and I just want him to see how fun cooking can be (which he would adamantly disagree with)… I know him too well though so I made freezer meals. I also made some of these amazing and incredibly easy granola bars yesterday. So easy that I’m sure I could make more of these during this lounge week. The coating is made in the microwave and they require no baking so these could easily be prepared in 10 minutes. These tasty, mostly healthy yet seemingly dessert like bars remind me a lot of these treats and these (minus the topping). I have a feeling you are going to love these not only for there simplicity but of also for their addictive, peanut buttery deliciousness. Enjoy!
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal*
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter (or 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter)**
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with aluminum foil leaving a 2-inch overhang. In a large mixing bowl, toss together oats and Rice Krispies, set aside. In a separate microwave safe mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, honey, brown sugar and salt. Heat mixture on HIGH power for 1 minute, remove and stir. Return to microwave and heat on HIGH power 1 minute longer. Remove from microwave, pour in vanilla and whisk mixture for 30 seconds. Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and toss well to evenly coat. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish, firmly press mixture into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze 10 - 15 minutes or chill in refrigerator 30 minutes. Lift bars from dish using foil overhang and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
- *I used 2 cups Rice Krispies but I thought it was slightly too much so I'd recommend start with 1 1/2 and if you think it could use more add in another 1/2 cup.
- **If you use extra crunchy you will probably have to add a few more Tbsp as it will increase the peanut to peanut butter ratio.
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Kraft