Greek Pizza

Greek Pizza | Cooking Classy

Sorry meat lovers, I know this is the third vegetarian meal in a row that I’ve posted. I’m really not becoming a vegetarian, it just happened to be three in a row which is actually very rare for me. I am starting to like vegetarian foods more but I could never give up meat.

This Greek Pizza is amazing! Not only that, but it’s also a simple dish to prepare. You may look at the directions for this pizza and wonder why I’ve added all the topping on after baking. The reason I did so is because when I think of Greek food I often think of fresh veggies. Yes, you could add them on prior to baking if you prefer, but why not try out the unbaked veggie version? I also like how adding them after reduces the amount of liquids that cook down from the vegetables that often just sits, soaking over the pizza which results in a soggy crust. I did saute the peppers, just to reduce the crunch factor but really you could just toss those on fresh too.

I love how versatile pizza is. I feel like there’s a thousand and one combinations I need to try. One down, one thousand more to go. This Mediterranean twist on pizza is likely to become a hit in your house. Enjoy!

Greek Pizza | Cooking Classy Greek Pizza | Cooking Classy

Greek Pizza

Yield: About 5 servings

Greek Pizza

• 1 (16 oz) homemade or store bought pizza dough
  • 2 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • 1/8 tsp dried thyme
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped into pieces (regular low moisture mozzarella would be fine too)
  • 4 oz feta, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any variety)
  • 1 cup diced grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/3 cup chopped kalamata or black olives
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pizza stone in oven and rest 30 minutes. Meanwhile combine 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Spread and shape pizza crust into a 12 - 13 inch round over a sheet of lightly floured parchment paper, while creating a rim along edge of dough. Brush pizza dough evenly with olive oil mixture. Sprinkle evenly with oregano, basil, thyme (leaving rim uncovered with herbs) and season lightly with salt and pepper. Top evenly with mozzarella and feta cheese. Bake in preheated oven 12 - 15 minutes until crust is golden. Meanwhile, saute peppers in a skillet in 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat until tender (you could also just add them on without sauteing).
  • Remove pizza from oven and immediately top with peppers, tomatoes, olives, onion and parsley. Cut into slices and serve.

• Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen: Gorgeous and fresh looking Greek Pizza, Jaclyn! Must make this soon. Thanks for sharing. Pinning tonight! October 11, 2013 at 7:17am Reply

• Elodie: This pizza looks like so fresh and yummy !! *_* October 11, 2013 at 8:12am Reply

• Ashley – Baker by Nature: Totally g(r)eeking out over this gorgeous pizza! October 11, 2013 at 10:46am Reply

• Susan: This pizza looks and sounds delicious. And for those who are offended by too many vegetarian recipes, you can always put souvlaki meat or gyro meat on it. :-) With or without meat this would be a great pizza. October 11, 2013 at 1:27pm Reply

• Jaclyn: Indeed :)! I’d like to try it with souvlaki chicken sometime, yum! October 11, 2013 at 2:23pm Reply

• Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent: This pizza looks amazingly fresh and yummy! October 11, 2013 at 3:21pm Reply

• Maria | Real Life Dinner: This looks Awesome! So colorful and fresh! YUM! Can’t wait to try it! October 11, 2013 at 6:09pm Reply

• Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious: Anything Greek-inspired is always a plus in my book! October 11, 2013 at 10:09pm Reply

• Becca @ Crumbs: Yummy, when things are this colourful you don’t miss the meat! October 12, 2013 at 1:37am Reply

• Deborah: I love all of these flavors, Jaclyn!! Gorgeous! October 12, 2013 at 7:21am Reply

• Jaclyn: Thanks Deborah :)! October 12, 2013 at 7:34am Reply

• Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen: Pizza is all time comfort and greek food is my newest favorite type of food so I am ALLL over this one!! October 12, 2013 at 5:53pm Reply

• ATasteOfMadness: Wow!! This pizza looks fantastic!!! I love the combination of flavors, yum! October 12, 2013 at 9:40pm Reply

• Hn: For this pizza did you use home made pizza base or store bought pizza base? December 23, 2013 at 3:04am Reply

• Jaclyn: To be honest I don’t remember for sure, either homemade or Trader Joes, the are the only two I use. December 23, 2013 at 10:39am Reply

• chaitaly mehta: Hi jaclyn

your recipes look amazing and I am sure will taste super too.
    infact planning on making your spinach and artichokes pizza and the greek one tomorrow.

I make my dough at home. Trader Joes gave ne the idea!

I wanted to check for the greek recipe you have mentioned to keep the pizza stone in the oven. I am sorry but I don’t understand this. Can you pls clarify?

Thank you.

chaitaly/Mumbai-India. January 11, 2014 at 12:33am Reply

• Jaclyn: Hi Chaitaly, sorry that was confusing, it just means to let the pizza stone heat in a hot oven for 30 minutes – I feel this just helps the crusts texture if it’s preheated before sliding the pizza onto it. Hope that makes sense! January 16, 2014 at 9:06pm Reply

• Tery Meedina: I am grateful you made the effort and took the tim to post it. However, I have been to Greece, and know several native Greeks. I’m sorry to tell you that Greek pizza only includes goat and fetta cheesea, and olive oil. The pizza itself is about the size of a small desert plate. Please do some research, you will see how delicious it is January 7, 2015 at 5:18pm Reply

• Jaclyn: I don’t like to stick with the norm, that can be boring :). January 7, 2015 at 5:25pm Reply

• Carole: Tery, do you know where to get a pizza recipe like the ones you saw in Greece? June 16, 2015 at 2:42pm Reply

• Sara F.: I made this pizza last night and it was awesome!!! I wish I could post my photo of it. I did tweak the recipe a tad, though – I sauteed the onion with the bell pepper, and I took the crust out of the oven after about 8 minutes and put the veggies on and baked it another 6 minutes or so. I just wanted the veggies to be cooked just a bit. It was so good! And as to Tery’s comment about what is or isn’t “Greek” pizza, if you go into any place in the US that serves “Greek” pizza, you’ll see it has most of these ingredients on it, plus others, depending on the restaurant. I like veggies on my pizza, not just cheese, so I’m not sure I’d particularly like what Tery calls Greek pizza. August 17, 2015 at 8:44am Reply