Looking for the perfect, easy and festive Easter dessert? These cute baby chick cookies have got you covered! My kids and my nieces and nephews were all so excited about these cookies. The entire time I was taking pictures they kept coming in every few minutes begging to have one. Their patience paid off because they all loved them!
The great thing about these is that they are made using a major shortcut, the cookie portion are Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar Cookies. So, you get all the points for being totally awesome and making such a fun treat, but it only takes half the work :). If you really wanted to make it easy you could use a store-bought frosting too and just tint it orange and yellow as mentioned in the recipe.
I made a lemon frosting for these simply because I adore lemon, and it only seemed fitting since they are yellow. You could however easily make it a vanilla frosting (as listed in the notes), if preferred.
These sweet and chewy Chick Sugar Cookies are destined to be a hit with young and old alike. I mean really, who could resist them? Enjoy!
- 1 (16.5 oz) roll Pillsbury® Sugar Cookie dough
- 32 mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice*
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Yellow and orange (or red) food coloring
- Prepare cookies according to directions listed on package. Allow to cool completely.
- For the lemon frosting:
- In a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), blend togther butter and 1 cup powdered sugar. Mix in lemon juice and lemon extract. Then add remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and blend in enough cream to reach a desired consistency. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the frosting and place in a separate bowl and tint orange (with orange food coloring or red and yellow food coloring). Tint remaining frosting in mixing bowl yellow.
- To decorate cookies:
- Frost a round of yellow over each cookie, leaving a small rim along edge uncovered. Add two chocolate chips for eyes, then using a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 3 tip, pipe beaks and feet on each cookie. In a separate piping bag fitted with a Wilton 3 tip, add remaining yellow frosting and pipe two wings on each cookie. Store cookies in a single layer in an airtight container.
- *The frosting can also be made into vanilla frosting if preferred. Simply replace the lemon juice with milk and replace the lemon extract with 1 tsp vanilla.
- Cookie decoration inspired by Bird On A Cake
This post is sponsored by Pillsbury. All thoughts/opinions are 100% my own.