I think it’s safe to say these are my new favorite holiday cookie! These deliciously soft and completely divine cookies do just as their titled, they melt away in your mouth! With their delicate texture and generous coating of eggnog frosting they are likely to become a cookie you’re not going to forget about. They really do taste just like eggnog in cookie form, so basically they are the best Christmas cookie ever.
How did I not know these things existed until now? It could be a dangerous thing though now that I do, for me and my whole family. You wouldn’t believe how quickly we finished these off. I think they definitely need to be a new Christmas tradition for my family, and yours too. If you like eggnog, put these cookies at the top of your must try list and make them asap. You’ll be glad you did and so will anyone that’s lucky enough to enjoy them with you. Do you have holiday cookie exchanges coming up? Make these and put everyone else’s cookies to shame. Ok I’m only joking (it’s that competitive side of me shining through :), but really everyone will love them and you’ll likely be passing out the recipe so keep it handy. Enjoy!
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Eggnog Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg , plus more for topping
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup butter , at room temperature (I used 1/4 cup salted and 1/4 cup unsalted butter)
- 3 - 5 Tbsp eggnog
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg yolks one at a time, blending just until combined after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract, rum extract and egg nog. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Scoop dough out by the heaping tablespoonfuls and drop onto Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2-inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 11 - 13 minutes. Allow to rest on baking sheet several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Eggnog Frosting and sprinkle tops lightly with nutmeg.
- For the Eggnog Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until very pale and fluffy. Add in rum extract and 3 Tbsp eggnog and mix in powdered sugar. Add additional eggnog to reach desired consistency.