Today I finally gathered the courage to sit outside so my kids ride their bikes. It’s 35 degrees outside. It was entirely deceiving because it was completely sunny and there’s no longer any snow on the ground. I don’t mind the cold, as long as I’m inside. Inside with a warm bowl of steamy soup.
This soup is a combinations of a few of my favorites. It’s just like this Fresh Spinach Tomato and Garlic Tortellini Soup meets this Minestrone Soup. It’s hearty, it’s filling, it’s most entirely healthy (who says a little cheese ever hurt anyone? Definitely not me! It’s good for the soul) and your whole family will enjoy it! I know I didn’t have a problem finishing off two bowls of it. I would be happy if this were on my menu every week. What more could I ask for? Well this and a fresh loaf of crusty bread. Basically my idea of Heaven. I’m obsessed with cheese tortellini and fresh bread, I could live on the stuff.
Tuscan Tortellini Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 4)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2 cups chopped green beans , about 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 2 small)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I used one regular and one petite diced)
- 1 tsp each dried basil and rosemary , crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 (9 oz) package refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini
- 3 cups packed spinach
- Shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese , for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add green beans and saute 3 minutes longer. Add zucchini and garlic and saute 1 more minute. Pour in broth and tomatoes. Add basil, rosemary, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to boil 8 minutes. Add tortellini and boil 5-7 minutes longer (or 2 minutes less than directions listed on package. If a more brothy soup is desired, then boil pasta separately from soup then add at the end). Stir in spinach and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Serve warm topped with Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy