Homemade Tomato Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Tomato Soup makes for the perfect lunch or dinner especially when paired with fresh bread or grilled cheese for dunking. This soup is incredibly easy, it only requires FIVE ingredients, and the flavor is simply delicious! What more could you ask for?
It doesn’t take much to make a healthy, flavorful soup and this soup is proof of that!
Of course, you could swap out the butter for olive oil here to make it healthier and omit the cream, but this time around I wanted to make it just a little indulgent.
You can’t go wrong with cream and here, it takes it to next level good! I also love butter in tomato soup, it works wonders here.
Creamy Tomato Soup Is Best
I love cream in tomato soup, but you could use Greek yogurt for a healthier alternative if you still want to get a creamy end result, just add in a pinch of sugar to help give it that hint of sweetness.
My favorite way to enjoy this soup is with some fresh crusty bread or a slice of cheese toast.
This is probably the easiest homemade tomato soup I’ve ever made and I know I will make this again and again.
It made me realize all those extra ingredients I’ve been adding to tomato soup all along really aren’t all that necessary.
And I actually didn’t even need to add a pinch of salt to this recipe, if you like things salty you may want a bit, but I’m more of a peppery person I suppose so I added a little of that.
The chicken stock was well seasoned so this soup really doesn’t need much. Some fresh basil and garlic offer this soup it’s fresh flavor and the canned tomatoes make it possible to serve up this soup year round!
What’s not to love here? Minimal ingredients, quick prep, short cook time and of course happy tastebuds!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
- Canned plum tomatoes or san marzano tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Fresh Basil
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Heavy cream (optional)
Scroll below for printable recipe
How To Make Tomato Soup
- Melt butter in a pot and saute garlic.
- Puree tomatoes in a blender then add to the pot along with some chicken broth.
- Simmer 10 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in fresh basil and cream (or yogurt) for added flavor. So easy!
My Other Tomato Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Tomato and Orzo Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
5 Ingredient Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 (28 oz) cans Whole Plum or San Marzano Tomatoes
- 4 Tbsp salted butter
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups Progresso™ Chicken Stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile add canned tomatoes along with the juices to a blender and process until well pureed (if you like your soup with more texture you can go ahead and leave some small chunks).
- Add garlic to pot and saute 30 seconds then pour in tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a gentle bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in half of the basil, season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Pour into bowls and drizzle each serving with cream if using then sprinkle with remaining basil. Serve warm.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy