Satisfying Tortellini Soup. This Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup might just be the best tomato soup you’ve ever had! It’s so easy to make, perfectly flavorful, and it’s nice and hearty.
And talk about comforting soup after a long day. The cheesy tortellini and cream in this soup just make it truly irresistible!
One of my favorite things to make for dinner is a tasty slow cooker soup recipe. They just have such a delicious slow simmered flavor, and all that cook time really allows the flavors to blend together.
This soup is probably one of the easiest you’ll ever make and you wouldn’t believe how amazing it tastes (especially considering it’s ease of prep). And have I said yet I just can’t get over this flavor??
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- Olive Oil
- Canned tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Fresh Basil
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
How to Make this Soup
First you’ll saute the onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil. Then you’ll add that to a large slow cooker (be sure it’s at least 6 quarts or the soup won’t fit!).
Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar and salt and pepper to slow cooker. Stir then cover cook on low 6 to 7 hours or on high 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Once time is up remove bay leaves then blend soup in batches in a blender or with an emulsion blender. Stir in tortellini then cover and cook on high until tortellini have cooked through. Then stir in heavy cream and serve soup warm with parmesan and more basil.
What’s with the Carrots in the Soup?
You may be thinking that the three carrots seems odd but it gives this soup some body, a light natural sweetness and it offers such a vibrant color to this soup so you don’t end up with something pale pink in the end.
Other than that this soup is mostly tomato, which I believe the way a true tomato soup is meant to be. And it the flavor here is far from that gross concentrated canned tomato soup, yuck.
This makes a slow cooker brimming full so if you are only serving a few I’d recommend making 2/3 the recipe (using 2 cans of the tomatoes, etc). You can also reduce it to that if you have a 5 quart slow cooker because a full batch wouldn’t fit in that size.
More Slow Cooker Soups to Try
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
This might just be the best tomato soup you've ever had! It's so easy to make, perfectly flavorful and satisfyingly hearty. And talk about comforting soup after a long day. The cheesy tortellini and cream in this soup just make it truly irresistible!
- 1 3/4 cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 (28 oz) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil , plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan , shredded, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and saute 3 - 4 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Pour mixture into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 6 - 7 hours or HIGH 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
Remove bay leaves then puree mixture well in small batches in a blender (only fill blender 2/3 full and cover removable insert with a kitchen towel) or us an emulsion blender*.
Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 - 20 minutes longer (or until heated through).
- Reduce heat to warm, stir in heavy cream. Serve topped with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
If your slow cooker doesn't keep all the moisture in well while cooking, you may need to add in 1/2 cup water or so at this point so the soup is too thick.