Ever since I was a young girl I’ve loved broccoli cheese potatoes. I mean who doesn’t? They taste amazing! Baked potatoes are a breeze to make and this broccoli cheese sauce is too. Then if you make it with the slow cooker potatoes shared in this post here you can have dinner ready about 15 minutes after getting home from work! My kind of easy dinner, plus even your kids will love it!
If you want a more hearty meal this would be great served with grilled or baked chicken or just some fresh baked bread is always good in my book. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Baked Potatoes with Broccoli Cheese Sauce
- 3 medium Russet potatoes , scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp butter , diced into 4 pieces
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (scant) onion powder
- 1/8 tsp (scant) garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar (4 oz)
- 1 cup chopped steamed broccoli florets (they should be chopped up into very small pieces and then measured)*
- Heat to 400 degrees. Pierce each potato several times with a fork. Place potatoes in oven (I never preheat it first with potatoes) and bake until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- For the broccoli cheese sauce:
- In a small or medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion powder, garlic powder and flour and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minutes. While whisking pour in milk, season with salt and pepper to taste and allow mixture to cook, stirring constantly, until it boil and mixture has thickened. Reduce to warm heat and stir in cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese has melted then stir in steamed broccoli. Serve warm over potatoes.
- *You can cook the broccoli any way you prefer, you can cook in a little water in a saucepan covered with a lid, in the microwave with water or steam which is the way I prefer. Just drain it well if cooking in water.