Easy Baked Zucchini – fresh summer zucchini is sliced into coins and tossed with olive oil, garlic, and herbs then sprinkled with parmesan cheese and oven baked.
It’s one of the best ways to cook zucchini!
Oven Baked Zucchini
Here is a recipe (or more so a how-to) that is sure to become a summer staple!
This zucchini is just about as easy as it gets and of course adding cheese is one of the best ways to turn bland and boring zucchini into something with a crave-able flavor.
And briefly broiling it also helps add some browned depth. It’s all about building up that savory taste.
Simple, fresh ingredients that together easily create something worthy of the quick weeknight dinner rotation. Plus it’s a great way to get kids, and adults, to eat their veggies!
Baked Zucchini Recipe Ingredients
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
How to Bake Zucchini
- Preheat oven, prepare baking sheet: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For optionally for easier clean up line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix oil and seasoning: In a small mixing bowl stir together olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 to 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper).
- Toss zucchini with oil mixture: Place zucchini coins in a large mixing bowl. Pour oil mixture over zucchini and toss well until evenly coated.
- Spread across baking sheet, add cheese: Pour onto baking sheet then spread out into a single layer. Top with parmesan.
- Bake then garnish.
How Long to Bake Zucchini
- The roasting time of zucchini will vary based on the way its cut (halved, quartered into sticks, or sliced). It will also vary based on the how thick it is cut, and oven temperature.
- For this recipe; using 1/2-inch thick slices, baking it at 350 degrees and finishing it with a broil it will take about 12 minutes.
- If you were to skip the broil it would take about 15 minutes but I love how broiling adds some flavor.
- Keep in mind when baking zucchini that a softer vegetable so it doesn’t need a whole lot of baking time.
- Switch up the herbs. You can use thyme, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, etc.
- Try it with fresh herbs instead of dried.
- If needed substitute garlic powder in place of fresh. Use 1 teaspoon.
- Use Romano cheese in place of parmesan cheese.
- Finish it with some lemon juice and or zest for another pop of flavor.
- Try it with yellow squash instead of zucchini.
- Use small or medium zucchini for better flavor. None of those jumbo zucchini here.
- Work to cut zucchini into evenly thick slices so they’ll bake evenly.
- Be careful not to over-bake or it will become mushy. On the other hand ensure it’s cooked long enough or it will remain crisp.
What to Serve with It
- Grilled Greek Lemon Chicken
- Marinated Steak
- Salmon Patties or Lemon Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
More Ways to Use Zucchini
- Garlic Lemon and Parmesan Roasted Zucchini
- Roasted Zucchini Squash and Tomatoes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Cake
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For optionally for easier clean up line a rimmed 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (I use about 3/4 to 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper).
- Place zucchini coins in a large mixing bowl. Pour oil mixture over zucchini and toss well until evenly coated.
- Pour onto baking sheet then spread out into a single layer. Top with parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven until just starting to soften about 7 - 9 minutes. Remove zucchini and transfer oven rack closer to broiler. Preheat broiler.
- Let broil until cheese is golden brown and zucchini is tender, about 2 - 3 minutes longer (keep a close eye on it).
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
- For extra flavor you can also finish with a little lemon juice and/or zest.
- This recipe can also be made using yellow squash in place of zucchini.