I love the idea lately of cooking my protein and veggie together, because why not? That just means one less pan for me to clean, plus it means they’ll be done at the exact same time so your veggie wont get cold waiting for the chicken to finish cooking.
I love everything about this one pan dish. Chicken parmesan and zucchini were just made to pair together. I did serve mine with pasta then after I regretted it because I ate way too much so next time I’m going to skip on the pasta and just keep it simple plus lower carb without the pasta. To save on dishes you can use the pre-shredded cheese from the store, this recipe is all about the short cuts to make it a simple weeknight meal.
This is going to be my go to recipe for chicken parmesan because not only is it perfectly delicious, but it doesn’t require any frying so it’s healthier than the alternative. And even though it’s not fried in oil first it still had a deliciously crisp exterior thanks to the Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs. If you can’t find the Italian seasoned version the regular kind will work fine, just add a little Italian seasoning to the crumbs along with a little garlic powder.
I hope you enjoy this as much I did! It will definitely be added to the rotation, especially during the summer with all the zucchini in season.
Follow Cooking Classy
Such a simple, tasty chicken parmesan recipe! Baked with zucchini for a simple one pan recipe you'll want to make again and again!
- 4 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2/3 cup marinara sauce (from a jar of store bought)
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 lbs zucchini, chopped in half through the length then sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Chopped fresh basil , for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour Panko bread crumbs and parmesan into a gallon size resealable bag. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Shake bag then drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil over bread crumb mixture. Seal bag and shake while pressing against mixture to evenly moisten crumbs.
In a shallow dish whisk egg until well blended. Working with one chicken breast at a time, dredge chicken in egg then immediately transfer to bread crumb mixture and press both sides in crumbs to adhere well.
Transfer to middle of baking dish then repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Bake chicken in oven 15 minutes. During last few minutes of chicken baking, place zucchini in a gallon size resealable bag, pour in olive oil and add garlic powder. Season wtih salt and pepper to taste. Seal bag and shake to evenly coat.
- Remove chicken from oven, rotate chicken to opposite side. Add zucchini around chicken in an even layer. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until chicken registers 165 degrees in center on an instant read thermometer (mine were 170 after the 10 minutes so unless your chicken breasts are super thick you shouldn't need much more time).
- Remove from oven and spread marinara sauce down middle of chicken breasts, sprinkle with mozzarella. Move oven rack near broiler element and heat oven to broil. Broil until cheese has melted about 1 - 2 minutes (keep a close eye on it so cheese doesn't burn).
- Sprinkle with basil and serve immediately.