A hearty, one pan pasta dish loaded with tender orzo, bright bits of sun dried tomatoes, flavorful garlic and parmesan, lean, protein rich pieces of chicken and fresh basil. A new weeknight staple!
A Perfectly Delicious Orzo Recipe!
This easy weeknight dinner is going knock your socks off! I absolutely loved this Italian inspired orzo dish!
I mean the title says it all – Sun Dried Tomato, Basil and Parmesan Orzo with Chicken. And all that goodness is cooked in one pot (or saute pan in this case. And if you are wondering what a saute pan is, it’s basically just a skillet with taller sides).
I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out, yes it has some of my favorite ingredients (fresh basil, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, parmesan) but when creating a recipe you just never no for sure how it will end up until it’s finished.
Well let’s just say I ate my fair share and then some and even my kids loved it! So of course that means this is going to be a regular at my house.
Easy, check. Ready in 30, check. Cooked in one pan, check. Unbelievable delicious and satisfying, double check. And like I said this is no doubt a repeat recipe.
Even though it doesn’t have a huge list of ingredients it is still packed with so many wonderful flavors and I’m almost certain it will be a win for you too!
More One Pan Chicken Dinners You’ll Love!
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Chicken and Rice
- Autumn Chicken Dinner
- Balsamic Chicken and Veggies
- Cajun Chicken Dinner
- Moroccan Chicken and Couscous
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Sun Dried Tomato Basil and Parmesan Orzo with Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups (8 oz) dry orzo pasta
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, then more as needed (don't use regular broth, it will be too salty)
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomato halves packed in oil with herbs (about 12 halves. Shake off some of the excess oil), chopped fine in a food processor
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Once shimmering add chicken, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 3 minutes then rotate to opposite sides and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 tsp olive oil to saute pan then add garlic and saute 20 seconds, or just until lightly golden, then pour in chicken broth while scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan.
- Bring broth to a boil then add orzo pasta, reduce heat to medium cover pan with lid and allow to gently boil 5 minutes then uncover, stir and continue to boil uncovered until orzo is tender, about 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally (don't worry if there's still a little broth, it will give it some saucy-ness).
- Once pasta has cooked through toss chicken in with orzo then remove from heat. Add in parmesan cheese and stir until melted, then toss in sun dried tomatoes, basil and season with pepper (you shouldn't need any salt but add a little if you'd think it needs it).
- Add more broth to thin if desired (as the pasta rests it will soak up excess liquid and I liked it with a little excess so I added a little more). Serve warm.