One of my favorite ways to welcome fall is with this One Pan Autumn Chicken Dinner. It’s been a reader favorite recipe every fall since I shared it 3 years ago, and my family absolutely loves this meal. It’s easy to make, the flavors are truly delicious, and clean up is a breeze. A must try chicken recipe!
One of My Favorite Chicken Recipes
This is one of my favorite chicken recipes because the chicken is just so tasty. The delicious flavor comes from the use of bone-in, skin-on thighs and a quick garlic herb marinade.
I love the way the veggies and apples compliment the chicken. And since everything is roasted together the flavors have a chance to meld during that cook time.
This meal just has fall written all over it with it’s seasonal veggies and the fact that it’s just total good for the soul comfort food perfect for a cool breezy fall day.
I always use fresh herbs here, you should be able to buy all the herbs in one packet labeled as “poultry herbs”. If not dry would also work as well, just use 1/3 the amounts listed.
Want to see how easy this sheet pan dinner is? Watch the video!
Ingredients for this Easy Chicken Dinner
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Fresh herbs – rosemary, thyme, sage
- Red wine vinegar
- Brussels sprouts
- Sweet potato
- Fuji apples (or other sweet baking apples)
- Salt and pepper
Scroll below for full recipe.
How to Make This Sheet Pan Chicken Recipe
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place pour in 2 Tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar, herbs and garlic into a gallon size resealable bag. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper then rub mixture over chicken.
Let rest while you prep remaining ingredients.
Add sweet potatoes, apples, Brussels sprouts, and shallots to a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to coat.
Spread into an even layer.
Top with chicken pieces and sprinkle bacon over veggie/apple mixture.
Roast in preheated oven until chicken has cooked through and veggies are tender, about 30 – 35 minutes, broil during last few minutes for more browned crispy chicken skin. Serve warm.
Can I Use Chicken Breasts in this Recipe?
I prefer the flavor of the chicken thighs here, plus when using the bone-in thighs they finish cooking the same time as the veggies whereas boneless-skinless chicken breasts would be over-cooked and dry by then (and bone-in breasts might need more time).
So stick with the thighs you just might like them!
More Easy Fall Recipes You Might Like
- Slow Cooker Rotisserie Style Chicken
- Autumn Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Apple Crisp
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Follow Cooking Classy
This is such a comforting and easy one pan chicken recipe! Everyone will love it on those chili autumn nights. It's brimming with flavor and loaded with seasonal veggies. You'll love those sweet apples pieces and salty bits of bacon.
- 5 (6 - 7 oz) bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp each minced fresh thyme, sage and rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (about 16 oz) (I leave unpeeled), chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, sliced into halves
- 2 medium fuji apples, cored and sliced into half moons about 3/4-inch thick
- 2 shallot bulbs, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 4 slices hickory smoked bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Pour 2 Tbsp olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and herbs into a gallon size resealable bag.
Add chicken, season with salt and pepper then seal bag and massage mixture over chicken while working to evenly distribute herbs. Set aside and let rest while chopping veggies.
Place sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, apples and shallot on an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle with remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil then toss to evenly coat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread into an even layer.
Set chicken thighs over veggie/apple layer.
- Separate any pieces of bacon that may be stuck together then sprinkle bacon over veggie apple mixture.
Roast in preheated oven until chicken and veggies are golden brown, about 30 - 35 minutes (chicken should register 165 in center). Broil during last few minutes for a more golden brown crispy skin on chicken if desired.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.