Slow Cooker Chicken is a new go-to dinner at my house! It has the same delicious flavors as a rotisserie chicken, it’s amazingly tender and it’s perfectly juicy. Aaaaand it’s super easy to make! All of that means this is likely to become a new go-to recipe for you too.
Slow Cooker Chicken
In the past I’ve mostly just cooked chicken breasts or thighs in the slow cooker but now I’m totally loving the idea of just throwing in a whole chicken in – bones, skin and all. It adds so much flavor and I love that it makes a lot of servings so you might even be lucky to have some left over for a sandwich for lunch the following day.
It’s also great this is one of those dinners everyone can agree on. Nothing fancy here just homestyle chicken that everyone will love!
It takes about 10 minutes to prep it, then no browning or anything beforehand, just put in the the slow cooker and let it do the rest. So easy!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Whole large chicken
- Paprika (not smoked)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Celery seed
- Turmeric (optional)
- Salt and pepper
Scroll below for printable recipe.
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Remove giblets from chicken (turn upright if you can’t reach them, or use a fork). Rinse chicken and drain, transfer to a 6 or 7-quart slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all of the spices along with salt and pepper to taste (I use 2 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper).
- Sprinkle seasonings all over chicken as well as sprinkling some in the cavity of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high heat 4 1/2 – 5 hours until thickest part of thigh registers 165 on an instant read thermometer. Remove and let it rest on cutting board 5 minutes before slicing.
What should I Serve with This?
- Garlic and Herb Roasted Veggies (pictured below)
- Cinnamon Honey Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Apple Kale and Quinoa Salad
- Baked Potatoes
- Steamed Veggies (asparagus, carrots, green beans etc)
How Can I Get Crispy Skin on the Chicken?
If you’d want a crispier skin on the chicken you can transfer the chicken to a small roasting pan or a baking sheet (transfer carefully it’s super tender) and broil for a few minutes until the skin starts to crispen up, just be sure to keep a close eye on it!
I don’t waste the time with the extra step though, I think it’s delicious how it is.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajtas
Follow Cooking Classy
A super easy slow cooker chicken recipe, it's a new staple recipe! This is amazingly flavorful, so tender, and deliciously juicy. The perfect recipe for busy weeknights!
- 1 (6 lb) whole chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Remove giblets from center of chicken (you may need to use a fork to reach down in or turn upright and let fall through), rinse chicken and drain.
In a small bowl whisk together paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, celery seed, turmeric and salt and pepper to taste (I use 2 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper).
Transfer chicken to a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker, sprinkle all over with spice mixture including the inside cavity.
Cover and cook on high heat for 4 - 5 hours (or low heat for about 8 hours), until center of thigh registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes then slice and serve warm.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy