This Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas recipe is the simplified lazy version of fajitas. Still all the delicious flavors without as much hassle! Plus it’s great for busy days so you can come home to dinner already ready!
I always love to order fajitas at Mexican restaurants but I don’t make them at home often.
I just wanted a lazier way to make them without having to marinade and so forth, so today I’m sharing this incredibly easy to prepare version of fajitas. Here the slow cooker does almost all the work.
And not only that, cooking it in the slow cooker allows plenty of time to meld the flavors together and really soak into the chicken and veggies, and it will leave you with perfectly tender chicken every time.
I absolutely love this simplified fajita recipe! It makes for a great weeknight dinner and definitely a crowd pleasing meal! It makes plenty too so you may be lucky enough to have left overs for lunch the next day!
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Add half of the tomatoes, peppers, onions and garlic (if you want the peppers more tender-crisp add them during the last 30 minutes or so instead).
Top with chicken.
Add the seasoning.
Top with tomatoes.
And more of those tomatoes and veggies. The set the slow cooker and easy as that!
Tips And Variations
- serve with tortillas, sour cream, salsa and guacamole
- add more or less chili according to preference
- store leftovers in the fridge for 1 to 2 days
- bring leftovers to room temperature and enjoy with salad for lunch or reheat until chicken is piping hot and serve as above.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes;
- Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
The easiest chicken fajitas recipe! Yet they are still so tender and flavorful. Cooking the mixture in the slow cooker really allows the flavors to blend for such a delicious dinner!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 red , orange and green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 large yellow onion , halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- For serving:
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- Sour cream, cilantro, salsa, guacamole, monterrey jack or cheddar cheese
Pour half of the canned tomatoes into the bottom of a slow cooker and spread into an even layer. Top with half of the peppers and half of the onions. Sprinkle garlic in. Top with chicken breasts.
In a bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle half of the seasoning over chicken breasts then flip chicken and sprinkle in remainder. Top with remaining half of the tomatoes, then layer in remaining peppers and onions.
Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 3 hours or low heat 5 - 6 hours*, until chicken has cooked through and veggies are tender (note that if you want to be able to cut chicken into strips cook more near lesser time on HIGH or LOW, otherwise it will probably just shred, which is also fine).
Remove chicken, and cut into strips, or shred. Ladle out 1 cup of the broth in slow cooker (mostly tomato liquid) and discard.
In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey and add to slow cooker along with chicken and season with additional salt to taste if desired. Gently toss. Serve warm in warmed tortillas with sour cream and optional guacamole, cheese and salsa.
- Originally listed as 3 - 4 hours on high, 7 - 8 hours on low. Unless your slow cooker cooks really low they shouldn't need that much time.
- Extra toppings not included in nutritional info.