Let the holiday baking begin! Yes that statement will always put a smile on my face. Even though I bake all year long, nearly every day there’s something so exciting about holiday baking. Hence the addition of glittery sprinkles I couldn’t resist adding to these chewy lemon sugar cookies.
I’ve posted nearly ever kind of sugar cookie. Most of which are those soft and fluffy lofthouse style (since they are one of my favorite kinds of cookies – and no, no, don’t confuse those lofthouse brand cookies, hate those but love that style of cookie).
Even though I’ve posted countless variations of sugar cookies I’ve never posted a chewy sugar cookie. The lemon were one of my favorite of the soft version so I decided to make this chewy version lemon as well.
These would make an exciting addition to the cookie exchanges going on this year. It’s nice to see the classics but it’s even more exciting to see something new.
These cookies are deliciously chewy and they’re loaded with lemon flavor (I often like to use the three sources of lemon – extract, juice and zest to get more lemon flavor).
The coarse sanding sugar also adds a nice crunch you get to bite through to get to that soft center. If you like lemon, these are a cookie you must try. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
Soft and chewy sugar cookies with bright lemon flavor!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Yellow food coloring , optional
- 3 oz . coarse sanding sugar , for rolling (granulated sugar would work fine too)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter, shortening, granulated sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg. Add honey, lemon extract, vanilla, fresh lemon juice and yellow food coloring to reach desired intensity of color (if using) and mix until combined. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Place coarse sanding sugar in a bowl then scoop dough out about 2 Tbsp at a time (33g each) and roll each one in the coarse sugar to evenly coat. Transfer to Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, flatten slightly (to about 2/3-inch) and bake in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet 1 minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Recipe Source: loosely adapted from this recipe from Fine Cooking