Chicken Caesar Salad is a must in the recipe file and this one definitely does not disappoint! Plus it’s made healthier by using mostly Greek yogurt in part for the mayonnaise and olive oil in the dressing. This salad is perfectly flavorful and deliciously satisfying, everyone will love this!
How to Make Chicken Caesar Salad
For this salad you make the croutons (homemade is definitely best!), chop the lettuce, grill the chicken (or use leftover), prep the dressing then toss everything together in the salad along with some parmesan and you are moments away from a hearty, seriously tasty salad.
We’ve all had the $15 – $25 Chicken Caesar Salad at a restaurant but why pay that price when you can make it for the whole family for less than that at home? And it tastes even better! This recipe uses a combo of Romaine lettuce, chicken, French bread, parmesan cheese, anchovies, Greek yogurt then a few more food staples like garlic, olive oil, mayonnaise.
Homemade Caesar Dressing
Say goodbye to bottled caesar dressing because this homemade caesar dressing recipe is the only way to go. The dressing is a easy to throw together and it just has so many robust flavors that blend perfectly together. And the lemon really just tones down the bold flavor of the anchovies so don’t worry about those.
The best part about this dressing is that it’s lighter compared to all the high calorie versions out there but you won’t even miss all the fat. It’s still wonderfully creamy and you won’t have to feel guilty about a generous portion of it.
Anchovies in Caesar Dressing
I’ll be honest here, chicken caesar salad use to be one of those things that’s hard for me to want to make at home because I didn’t want to have to deal with mashing up canned anchovies. I hate the smell but hey, I eat canned tuna all the time so why not anchovies?
A caesar salad dressing just isn’t the same without anchovies, I thought it could be done without them but it just can’t. So, don’t omit them! They are key to a good caesar salad.
This salad will likely become one of your go-to recipes! It’s just one of those dinners the whole family can agree on and if you happen to have leftover grilled chicken it will be a breeze to throw together!
Check Out My Other Chicken Caesar Recipes:
Follow Cooking Classy
A deliciously hearty and satisfying salad the whole family will enjoy! Made with a lighter Greek yogurt dressing and freshly made croutons. Feel free to use leftover grilled chicken if you've got some and also toss in some halved grape tomatoes for one more layer of fresh flavor.
- 1/2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 3 anchovy fillets (about 2 tsp once mashed)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp full fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 small cloves garlic , pressed through a garlic crusher
- 1/2 (16 oz) loaf French bread, 2 days old
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic , pressed through a garlic crusher
- 1/4 each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb chicken boneless skinless breasts , grilled and sliced (rotisserie chicken would work too)
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce , chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese (about 2 oz)
- For the dressing:
- Remove larger bones from anchovy fillets. Place in a small mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back of a spoon. Add in mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper salt and garlic and stir until well blended. Whisk in Greek yogurt. Chill in refrigerator while preparing remainder.
- For the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut bread into slices 1/2-inch t0 3/4-inch thick then cut each slice into cubes. Spread bread cubes into an even layer on a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove from oven and move bread cubes closer to center of pan (so they're more side by side), then slowly and evenly drizzle with half of the olive oil mixture and toss. Drizzle with remaining olive oil mixture and toss, then bake 5 - 6 minutes. Remove from oven and toss, then bake 5 - 6 minutes longer or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To assemble salad:
- In a large salad bowl toss together lettuce, chicken, croutons and half of the parmesan. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss. Plate and sprinkle each portion with remaining parmesan. Serve immediately.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy