Have you tried chocolate covered bacon yet? Two of the worlds best ingredients come together in a seemingly odd combination to create a sweet and salty, decadently delicious treat. Once you’ve had this you may just want your bacon covered in chocolate every time you fry or bake it. Yeah, I can just see myself serving this along with a tall stake of pancakes =).
For a fancy gourmet touch be sure to pair this with slices of Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese. It just takes this exciting chocolate treat to the next level.
You can add any additional toppings you’d like to the chocolate dipped bacon, I listed a few ideas in the recipe. Two of my favorites – orange zest (just use it lightly so you are still able to taste the bacon and the chocolate) and toffee bits.
Also, I’d love you to check out my Valentines Day entertaining feature over at Wisconsin Cheese. It was a delicious experience working with them to create some mouth watering cheese and chocolate pairings. As always, enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Chocolate Covered Bacon Bites
- 1 (16 oz) package thick cut bacon
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 6 oz chopped chocolate
- 2 tsp vegetable shortening
- 2 oz white chocolate candy melts or other optional coatings such as: chopped pistachios , almonds, pecans or peanuts, orange zest, toffee bits, sea salt, brown sugar, red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, toasted coconut, sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Align bacon in a single layer on rimmed baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven 15 - 20 minutes until crisp. Remove from oven and transfer bacon to a baking sheet lined with paper towels and cool. Cut bacon into 2-inch pieces, set aside. Remove paper towels from baking sheet and line baking sheet with wax paper.
- Place chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. Dip bacon in melted chocolate and allow excess chocolate to run off (if adding coatings other than white chocolate candy melts, immediately sprinkle them over bacon after dipping in chocolate) then transfer to wax paper lined baking sheet, aligning coated pieces in a single layer. Transfer chocolate coated bacon to refrigerator and allow to chill until chocolate has set, about 15 minutes.
- Place 2 oz white chocolate candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave on 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. Transfer mixture to a small resealable bag, and cut a small tip off of one corner. Drizzle melted white chocolate coating over chocolate covered bacon. Transfer to refrigerator until white chocolate has set. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.