Meet a new and exciting, melt in your mouth cookie… Coconut Lime Ricotta Cookies! They are purely divine! To put them in words, just imagine an Italian cookie meets a refreshing tropical or Latin cake doughnut (that was my thought, my husband said they remind him of Alfajore cookies).
If you want to be a good cook I firmly believe you have to be willing to take risks in the kitchen. It’s about stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things, mixing new flavors. One of my dreams and aspirations is to be a great cook (on the Food Network may I add =), so this recipe is the result of me trying something daring and exciting in the kitchen.
I knew it would either be an utter failure or something spectacular. I’m proud to say they turned out to be the later, they are completely spectacular. Someone please tell me, how do I stop myself from eating five at once?
The combination of flavors in this cookie may be one that you question with the Ricotta cheese combine with coconut and lime, I myself questioned it (before trying them) but you wouldn’t believe how well all the flavors blend together! And don’t worry, you don’t really taste the Ricotta cheese.
It’s not like this is a lasagna cookie. It just gives these cookies a wonderful texture.
Never tried Ricotta cookies before? Then I must say this is the Ricotta cookie recipe you’re going to want to try!
If you’re wondering what to do with the remaining 7.5 oz of Ricotta (if you bought a 15 oz container), double the batch of cookies or make half of a batch of Manicotti.
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Coconut Lime Ricotta Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 7.5 oz Ricotta cheese , whole fat or low fat (this is 1/2 cup + 1/3 cup if you don't have a scale)
- 3 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 recipe Coconut Lime Glaze , recipe follows
- 1 cup toasted coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in egg.
- Mix in Ricotta cheese, coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut extract and lime zest. Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Form dough into 2 Tbsp balls each and and drop onto Silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 15 - 16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool 30 minutes then spoon a heaping 1/2 teaspoon glaze over each cookie, use the back of the teaspoon to spread glaze over cookie.
- Before glaze begins to harden and set sprinkle with optional toasted coconut (garnish lightly with additional lime zest if desired). For a set glaze allow cookies to rest for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or for a sticky glaze enjoy immediately. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Coconut Lime Glaze
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until well combine.