When I see that I have overripe bananas I can’t help but get excited because it always gives me an excuse to make some kind of banana bread or dessert. And now that I’ve tried this insanely delicious recipe from Butteryum I have one more excuse to buy an abundance of bananas.
This cake is truly over the top delectable! It’s so irresistible and thanks to the vanilla bean frosting it’s perfectly decadent. I made it this past Sunday since I was having my family over for dinner and it was definitely loved by all. And I was so glad we had just a few slices left for the next day since I made the double batch (which is the recipe posted below).
You’ll love how incredibly easy and quick it is to make this cake. The cake batter only uses one bowl then you just wash it out and use that same one for the frosting. This will likely become one of your go to desserts for that reason alone.
You have got to try this one! It’s seriously delicious!
Follow Cooking Classy
To Die For Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
- 1 1/3 cups (286g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (228g) sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (368g) mashed overripe bananas (from about 3 large)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (290g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/4 cup +2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 by 9-inch baking dish then set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl and using an electric hand mixer), cream together sugar and butter then mix in sour cream and eggs (occasionally scrape down bowl throughout mixing process).
- Stir in mashed banana and vanilla extract. Add the flour, salt and baking soda then mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish, spread into an even layer and bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 33 - 38 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or using a mixing bowl and hand mixer), mix together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla bean seeds.
- Slowly add in heavy cream and mix until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cooled cake. Store cake in refrigerator in an airtight container. Let rest and room temperature a bit before serving.