Don’t we all remember those times when we were young that our parents or grandparents were trying to get us to eat our brussels sprouts? It’s funny, kids and brussels sprouts, I think it’s just one of those things as we grow our taste in food changes. We crave more depth of flavor vs. that plate of pasta with butter and salt. You will love the delicious flavors in these brussels sprouts! Roasting them in the oven enhances them times ten and the added flavors of fresh lemon, garlic and parmesan, well you all know what that simple combination can do. Wonders, right?
This is a healthy side that is easy to make and sure to please. Next time I want to try these with dried cranberries and pecan pieces (while omitting the garlic, extra lemon spritz and parmesan) for another exciting flavor combo. If you do go that route, add 1 Tbsp brown sugar when tossing with oil and lemon, then add 3/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/3 cup chopped pecan pieces during last 5 minutes of roasting (and leave out those listed ingredients mentioned just prior).
Follow Cooking Classy
Garlic Lemon and Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb brussels sprouts , rinsed and dried, ends trimmed, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice , plus more for serving
- 1/2 tsp (scant) fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add brussels sprouts and garlic to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice then toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Spread onto a cookie sheet in an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven, tossing once halfway through baking, until golden brown on edges, about 25 - 30 minutes. Serve warm spritzed with more lemon juice to taste and topped with parmesan cheese.
- Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Whole Foods